Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What the heck is this?

Options
Hi there, during a home inspection the inspector was surprised to see what you see in these pics. The pipes are going into a chimney stack and he believed that they may have used it to get to the 3rd level. The house is 30 years old, built with structured insulated panels but also has a central fireplace that is a type of heat mass designed to heat the entire home once warmed up. Past owners upgraded with an IBC system but there is still some hydro heat and fresh air system. He is NOT an havoc expert but I know you all are. I would love to hear any thoughts you have what you see here or problems? Thank you kindly in advance, Chris

Comments

• ChrisWilliams2
    ChrisWilliams2 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Should have also added The house has 4 levels, finished basement (no heat or ac) main floor (hydro heat) for forced hot air vents. 2nd floor has fhw baseboards, 3rd floor has NOTHING. Its finished fully too. The chimney goes through the 3rd floor room and has an open cut out, like an air duct but I dont see what the use of it is. Sorry I have a pic of it coming,
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    You can run pipe through a chimney if it isn't being used for a chimney any longer.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    Options
    That copper elbow looks like it's gonna xplode and leak.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The Lifebreath furnace used 2 ports for intake and exhaust. They were to vent the appliance to outside air. The ducting can be in a chase, but the chase cannot be used as a chimney.