Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex-al-pex to CI radiators

Fred Rappuhn
Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
When running pex-al-pex to cast iron rads, what is the preferred method? Connect the pex directly to radiator. Or use a transition piece through the floor like as pipe nipple and have the pex connector under the floor. All my supplies will be through the floor, some will have no access from below.

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Please explain this better: " All my supplies will be through the floor, some will have no access from below." What about your returns?
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Supply and returns on first floor has access from below in basement. 2nd floor I will have have to cut floor for access. Concerned about a connection that would be concealed if I connected to a pipe nipple as a riser. Do they make a decorative sleeve to cover pex? Guess I should mentioned the returns!!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    How far off the floor? If the connection is short or close just run the tube right to the radiator. Protective sleeves if you like. Should be able to find the PAP adapter or connector to a valve.
    If the rad is up off the floor a foot or so, copper tube will be a straighter option, connection below floor is not a problem with the correct fitting.

PAP direct to the rad eliminates a transition fitting.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    It might be less trouble to cut the ceiling below those second-floor rad connections, rather than the floor above. Might be easier to repair.

Bburd
  • Fred Rappuhn
    The ceiling below is a knock down texture, these floors are getting new floor covering, cutting floors would be best here.
    bburd
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Think about running a brace to the wall with cast iron free standing radiators . The hard iron pipe kept them in place from tipping.
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    Fred Rappuhn