Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about panel radiator installation

Options
55Trucker
55Trucker Member Posts: 20
Hi, I installed three Ecostyle wall panel radiators that I purchased from Ecomfort.com. I finally got everything hooked up today and turned on the heat. The installation guide is a little light on detail, specifically, I was led to believe that the supply and return lines at the bottom of the radiator could be reversed. I did find more detail in the install guide I found for another brand, which looks identical to what I bought. That install guide seems to imply that you must connect the radiator this way:

Two of the radiators are the same size (16"w x 36"h). The third one is bigger, 36"w x 16"h.

One of the two 16" radiators is plumbed the reverse of this flow diagram, but both get hot.

The larger (36" wide) radiator is plumbed reverse and only gets hot on the right third of it. Note that the flow control valve on the radiator (that can accept a thermostatic control, but I don't have one) is set to 6, which should mean it's wide open.

Can reversing the supply/return cause what I am seeing?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Inside pipe is always the supply. May not work well. reduced flow at best.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    You probably have air in some of those riser tubes, did you power purge it with pressure?

Water should flow either direction, but if you add TRVs the flow direction needs to be correct.

Sometimes flowing backwards thru a bib type valve pushes the sealing washer off and it may not flow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • 55Trucker
    55Trucker Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you both. The reversal will be a bit ugly, but thankfully it will be behind the basement drop ceiling. I will leave a note to apologize to whoever owns the house after we're gone. ;)
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    yes, when they referred to reverse connections they meant the supply and return are on the total opposite side of the radiator but the supply is always the inside tapping. not reversing the existing supply and return tapping. correctly installed piping first per manufacturers specs. then proceed
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Perhaps you can reverse the piping under the floor so it can't be seen?