Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

type of flooring options Radiant staple up.

Options
KevinHughes
KevinHughes Member Posts: 3
I have recently installed staple up with Omega heat transfer plates. I currently have the 20 year old Pergo engineered wood flooring. There is a little de lamination around the seams in some areas. 
I am looking for the top products that can stand the warmest temperatures. Tile and quarter sawn hard wood excluded. 
The products we are looking at are the engineered wood plank's and vinyl plank flooring.  All the flooring companies say keep temp under 80* and we like to run our water temp at 120 to 140* 140 Preferably  any experience with These products? 
Any recommendations on types of flooring. 

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    It's surface panel temps that have limits, not the tubing loop water temperature. Better pre-engineered products are Khars, Junckers, Timbergrass and Lowenstein.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    What are the heat loads? BTU/ sq ft. If the loads are too high you may not be able to get adequate heat out of the floor. 82°F is about as warm as you want to run the surface temperature. That 80-82F will be common with any wood products. The quality engineered products are the best over radiant.

140F SWT seems high for an aluminum plate system unless you have thick subfloors?

How's the humidity? Expansion and contraction of wood floors has a lot to do with moisture also.

With an 82F surface and a room of 70F, expect about 22-24 btu/ sq ft

The supply temperature depends on the subfloor material, any foam under the flooring etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Paul Pollets
  • nosirra1Arrison
    nosirra1Arrison Member Posts: 57
    Options

Better pre-engineered products are Khars, Junckers, Timbergrass and Lowenstein.

100% agree with Paul.
    I have Khars with underfloor plates with no issues. Be sure to follow manufacturers recommendations to leave expansion gap around exterior.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I have a 101 year old house with single glazed windows and hardwood floors and a boiler with outdoor reset; Radiant Engineering thinfin staple-up plates. The manufacturer of the plates recommends water temperatures no greater than 120F and in the past, I've had water temperatures up to 130F and the hardwood is no longer the same as it used to be. It's cracked and separated in places.

I don't think an engineered wood floor will react the same, but follow the instructions and guidelines. As far as staple-up plates, it's all about how large your heatloss is.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    edited April 2022
    Options

I have a 101 year old house with single glazed windows and hardwood floors and a boiler with outdoor reset; Radiant Engineering thinfin staple-up plates. The manufacturer of the plates recommends water temperatures no greater than 120F and in the past, I've had water temperatures up to 130F and the hardwood is no longer the same as it used to be. It's cracked and separated in places.

I don't think an engineered wood floor will react the same, but follow the instructions and guidelines. As far as staple-up plates, it's all about how large your heatloss is.

What floor type do you have?

I have had some movement with older wide plank ...... not so with new --- fully coated after being acclimated in a climate controlled house

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    What floor type do you have?
    3/4" tongue-and-groove fir subfloor, 5/16" hardwood.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    That flooring build up is reasonable. Two tubes in each bay? Got access to an infrared camera? that would show how consistent the floor temperature is. Well insulated below the plates?

Still, the load calculation, room by room may have the answer to why you need such high SWT.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    edited April 2022
    Options
    3/4" tongue-and-groove fir subfloor, 5/16" hardwood.

Have had some movement on an older 6" beach floor -- it had a lot of gaps to start with and fit the project so I was not going to replace 1500 sf of flooring. That was 3/4 over typical plywood decking. Most of the old places I rehabbed had various red oak flooring and they seem to take it well.

On new floors, since I aways use wide boards -- coat the backs of the boards with finish along with giving the boards lots of time to acclimate. All the new projects have been over Warmboard and none have had problems -- even my newest with some 14" wide white oak. This is the second winter and it's nice and tight. AC in the summer
  • ibal
    ibal Member Posts: 4
    Options
    OP, what did you end up doing?