Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar water panel ID?

Options
Orion_134
Orion_134 Member Posts: 35
Hard to capture pics that mean anything, but maybe someone will know what they're looking at? I have three of these panels from a 1983 install and am just sniffing around for info.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    There should be a tag like this on each collector. 
    There are so many manufacturers come and gone. Many if not most bought the copper absorbers from AET in Florida. Those look like the ThermaFin absorbers from AET
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi @Orion_134 , I'm half guessing, but the collectors look like they have a black chrome coating, which was/is top of the line. I'd figure out what fluid was circulated through them as it could help to know what potential corrosion issues might be. I'd have a close look at the lower ends of the collectors to see if there is evidence of internal leaks. Also look at the headers to see if there is any swelling or evidence of leaks where the finned tubes connect. The collectors are copper and can be fixed, but it's a silver solder job, after the glass is off, and you don't want to burn up the insulation either >:) ... What are you thinking of doing with the panels?

Yours, Larry
  • Orion_134
    Orion_134 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Top of the line. I like the sound of that 😂. I'm just wanting to get more info about them, like capacity and lifespan and such. The system appears to be a pressurized glycol system that has had regular maintenance performed.

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I'll get back up there and look again for a tag as well as check those areas.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    The older collectors like that had a much heavier gauge of copper, both the fin and tube. Properly cared for they can last 30 years or more

Keeping  an eye on glycol is important, check the ph yearly, boost if necessary, flush it if it drops into the 7 ph range. Invest in a ph meter.

Prevent over heating, stagnation conditions that destroys the insulation and can cloud the glass from outgassing. Frequent over heating stresses the braze joints also

The Isolar control has several over-heat functions built in to protect collectors, read up and enable them
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream