Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad Luck with Radiator Vents!!!! Which ones next?

Options
AdmiralYoda
AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 630
I've had some bad luck with radiator vents the past 5 years or so. I had a mix of old Gorton's and Vent-Rites and the Gorton's were being finnicky so I replaced them all with Maid O' Mists. There are six total.

A few of the MoM's failed after about a year, stuck open or shut. I replaced them, and the next year the same thing happened to the other ones. Now this year a few are not shutting like they should.

The boiler is oversized and cycles on pressure but has a Vaporstat that cuts out at 14oz with a 10oz differential. No leaks, boiler water stays clean, no surging.

Any thoughts on what brand I should try next?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    We have had the same issues in the field and have switch to the tried and true Hoffman 40’s and Hoffman 1A’s.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• AdmiralYoda
    Options
    Any benefits of one over the other aside from the 1A being adjustable?
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Unfortunatley experimenting with the Hoffman vent valves is very expensive.
    If you use the 40s throughout the house and have a bit of a problem with how fast the steam reaches the radiator you can buy one 1a to try to balance the heat.

Jake
  • AdmiralYoda
    Options
    @dopey27177 Thankfully I only have 6 radiators so it won't hurt that too much. My plan is to replace the vents a couple at a time with 1A's. I like having the ability to adjust the vents to balance everything as best I can (and its fun).
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,735
    Options

We have had the same issues in the field and have switch to the tried and true Hoffman 40’s and Hoffman 1A’s.

Have they fixed the adjusting cap design at all on the 1As?
    I thought it was amazing it could vent the same at every number depending on how the cap was sitting.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment