Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Insulation to use Behind New Baseboard

Options
ScoutRider
ScoutRider Member Posts: 23
After a system freeze destroyed all of my beautiful cast iron baseboard, we are (sadly) installing all new fin tube baseboard.

What should I be using between the wall and the baseboard to minimize my heat loss and maximize reflectivity into the heated space?

Thank you!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Do you really want to space them off the wall and then come up with a trim detail on top? Most often they fasten right onto the finish wall. The insulation in the wall should give you the r-value to protect them, and keep you heat inside the home.

For a reflective surface/ insulation to be efficient, there needs to be an air space. Or it will transfer heat away via convection.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    That sounds like you have a water heating system. if that is the case nothing will prevent a freeze up if that condition repeats itself. If you have a steam system make sure that the convectors are pitched so the water can drain out of them.

Jake
    reggi
  • ScoutRider
    ScoutRider Member Posts: 23
    Options

That sounds like you have a water heating system. if that is the case nothing will prevent a freeze up if that condition repeats itself. If you have a steam system make sure that the convectors are pitched so the water can drain out of them.

Jake

Yes, hot water. I know the only way to prevent a future freeze loss is to keep heat in the house! Just an inquiry as to whether or not anything behind the baseboard would amount to any benefit or not. Thanks!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    With the cast iron type of baseboard there is a space behind so some value to a reflective insulation. It is also a convector and a radiator so some heat is transfered by radiation.
    Whereas the copper fin tube is mainly a convector, the surfaces never get hot like the cast version.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ScoutRider