Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless Boiler, Controller Temp Lower then Boiler Temp

Options
Paul986
Paul986 Member Posts: 3
New User

Peerless Boiler WBV-E-04 with Indirect Hot water Heater, 5 Zones with Baseboard Heat. New install in Feb 2022.

Problem;

The Controller seems to be reading a good 12 degrees or so Lower then the Boiler Gauge. Don't know which is correct. The installer says I'm over thinking it and not to worry cause all Peerless Boilers do this.

This came up cause we're having trouble heating the Home when the outside temp gets below 25F or so.

I know it could be other issues but I thought if the controller is calling for 190 and the boiler is only putting out 178 +/- the base boards aren't really heating as they should.

Thanks for any help
Paul

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Is the control a Hydrostat 3250 Plus? If the probe is in correctly, I would trust it over the tridicator gauge. 
    What's the economy setting? If High, lower it to 5. If it's on 5, lower it to 4, etc.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    It can be several problems or nothing.

Aquastat sensor may not be pushed in the well all the way or it may need heat conductive compound

If the circulators are not running the boiler water may stratify (cooler water at the bottom and hotter water at the top) may cause gauge to differ from aquastat.

Not uncommon for gauge to read 10 degrees or so different from aquastat

But if the house is not heating the contractor needs to come back and figure out why?

Could be airbound
    Paul986
  • Paul986
    Options
    HVACNUT said:

Is the control a Hydrostat 3250 Plus? If the probe is in correctly, I would trust it over the tridicator gauge. 
    What's the economy setting? If High, lower it to 5. If it's on 5, lower it to 4, etc.

Yes Hydrostst 3250 Plus, going to check out the Economy modes, Soon as I figure out how to change them. Thank you
  • Paul986
    Options

It can be several problems or nothing.

Aquastat sensor may not be pushed in the well all the way or it may need heat conductive compound

If the circulators are not running the boiler water may stratify (cooler water at the bottom and hotter water at the top) may cause gauge to differ from aquastat.

Not uncommon for gauge to read 10 degrees or so different from aquastat

But if the house is not heating the contractor needs to come back and figure out why?

Could be airbound

Thank you, The house is heating, all zones are working, just not getting past 68 degrees when real cold out, I'm going to get him back.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I used to call the difference between two different thermometers “allowing for Kentucky Windage”

if you purchase a thermometer for scientific testing in a laboratory, don’t expect to pay less than $500.00 for the economy model.  When a boiler manufacturer buys a thermometer for a boiler to meet minimum code specifications, they pay less than $7.00 purchased in bulk.  

If you tell me you believe that both thermometers are just as accurate, I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn that may interest you 

And what @hv@HVACNUT and @eb@EBEBRATT-Ed said above

Mr Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Paul986
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Paul986 said:
    Yes Hydrostst 3250 Plus, going to check out the Economy modes, Soon as I figure out how to change them. Thank you
    Toggle through the red button on top of the Hydrostat. It'll list hi limit, low limit, economy, etc.
    There is a dial inside to adjust the setting.