Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators on top floor not heating up

Emcgreeny
Emcgreeny Member Posts: 1
I live in a 3 story house and the radiators on t he top floor have stopped heating up, I’ve bled them and topped up the water pressure on the boiler but they are still not heating up any suggestions? 

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    how many zones?
    valves or circulators?
    post pictures,
    did you bleed with the circ on? or off?
    known to beat dead horses
  • How many thermostats on the top floor? If only one, it could be that a pump or zone valve or the thermostat itself is bad. If more than one thermostat, there are more questions to be asked.

Even thought you've bled all the radiators and the pressure is fine, there might still be air in some of the horizontal pipes or stuck at a high point in the system.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited March 2022
    More Questions:
    When you bleed the radiators, does water come out ... or only air? (insufficient pressure in the boiler)
    Are the other radiators heating properly?
    Is this something new? or has this always been the case?
    Did anyone do some work (unrelated to the heater) in the home around the time you started to experience the problem?

for example: I remember a customer's child needed batteries for his GameBoy and knew that mom just put new batteries in the thermostat. I got a no heat call the next day and charged for a service call and 3 new AAA batteries. GameBoy is unrelated to the heater = very expensive batteries

Cable repair, electrician, bug exterminator, anyone may have inadvertently touched a switch, broke a wire or bumped a valve.

Pictures and more info about the system please?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics