Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EK system 2000 hot water tank fail

Options
Juggatweet
Juggatweet Member Posts: 8
edited March 2022 in Domestic Hot Water
I've got an Energy Kinetics system 2000 and the hot water storage tank leaked water all over the floor. I need to determine if it's better to replace it or just buy a separate electric hot water heater. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    No warranty left on the tank?
    You could go with an electric tank, but you'd lose the purge. The System 2000 tank is piped differently internally. The cold dip tube doesn't go to the bottom of the tank like it does on an electric water heater. If it were mine, I'd go with the EK tank.
    Juggatweet
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    The best thing to do is replace it. But, first determine why it failed, and get your water checked. I'd also check for stray electrical current.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Juggatweet
  • Juggatweet
    Juggatweet Member Posts: 8
    Options
    No warranty it was not transferred by the original owner.  I Got the replacement tank ordered.  What things can I look for to know why it failed? And why do I want to test my water.   Sorry I'm not familiar with any of this and the why helps me understand. 
  • Mikeman
    Mikeman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Another thing to consider is that anything that affected you storage tank also affects your heat exchanger. EK says to backflush the heat exchanger fairly frequently if you have water issues. https://www.hannabery.com/how-to-backflush-plate-exchanger-hot-water-heating-system.shtml
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi @Juggatweet ,Things you can do to understand why it failed... Here's a short list. Get a water quality report, so you know about the water, whether it's aggressive, acidic, or hard. Measure static pressure. It's easiest on the tank if it's between 40 and 60 psi. Is there provision for thermal expansion? If not, you could be getting pressure spikes. Get a pressure gauge with the little red indicator built in. This will show you what the highest pressure seen by the plumbing is. Have a look at the anode in the tank (if there is one) and let us see a photo. If you pull out just a plug, it was long since used up and should have been checked more often. Look at all fittings on the tank. Did any leak or seep? If so, that water could have eaten through the tank from the unprotected outside.

Yours, Larry
    STEVEusaPARogerJuggatweet
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thank you for your post on this, @Larry Weingarten , that's great information. @Juggatweet , Joe in our tech support group PM'd you earlier, let us know if we can help further.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Larry Weingarten