Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco circulator motor capacitor

Options
Mikeman
Mikeman Member Posts: 15
I was reading an old closed topic entitled PUMP QUESTION. I post this now, not as advice but as information that may or may not be of assistance to someone. When I questioned if I may have had a bad motor capacitor, my son who is an industrial electrician in another state, told me they are fairly cheap so buying one would be cheaper than a meter to test it. He also said if I was going to remove it from the circuit to test it, why not just install a new capacitor. When you go to price a capacitor from Taco, you get a rude awakening. So I researched for another source. My system has two 007-F4 1/25HP circulators. Both have Cambridge capacitors from the UK. I found no source for them. The one sold by Taco now is best I can tell made by Seiki in Japan (SK Capacitors). I found one other source for them about 25% cheaper than OEM, but still steep for what it is. The local heating supply business told me they don't stock the Taco 007-002RP capacitors and I'd have to buy online, which I eventually did. Since then I identified what I believe may be a viable replacement but you can be the judge of that. I pass this on because if you think it is, it will save you mucho mucho dinero to the point one can afford to carry some spares. If you look at the data and think it is not a suitable replacement please advise as to why. It is a metallized polypropylene film capacitor (which the Seiki model is). The capacitor is Cornell Dubilier model # 505PHC400K. It does not come with insulation on the axial wires but I figure shrink wrap would solve that in seconds. https://www.cde.com/resources/catalogs/PHC.pdf
EdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    My experience is that polypropylene film capacitors never go bad even when hit with a lightening spike that melted the circuit board in these pumps. I have the means to test them as to ratings and voltages. In fact, I rarely find electrolytics that are out of specs.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Thanks. A supplier where to purchase and which model/part number would make it easier for us dummies.

Since you already did the heavy lifting, you might as well put on the truck for us!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I'm just replacing the circulator, with a newer more efficient model. Just like PSC burner motor capacitors. Carlin makes one, if you can find it, Beckett doesn't.
    steve
  • Mikeman
    Options
    When one is performing work for others and charging for labor, the best choice of how to handle a problem can vary from what might be best if you were doing it for yourself and labor doesn't play into it. Putting too much time into fixing something can make it cost close to or more than replacing the component would. I assume these capacitors must fail or deteriorate in some cases or Taco would not sell as a replacement part. There is even a YouTube video of a guy who had one fail.
  • Mikeman
    Options
    EdTheHeaterMan I was not sure if the forum rules allowed me to list the supplier I ordered the parts from. I only posted this so nobody would tie up any time researching what I already had.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    film and foil caps last forever, metalized film not so much. readily available from electronics suppliers like mouser or digikey
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @Mikeman

Nothing wrong with listing the supplier as far as I know it's pricing that is not allowed
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I heard of the high cost and non-availability of these caps a few years ago.
    So I have been saving them from failed pumps.
    Haven't needed one yet.
  • Mikeman
    Options
    I bought from Arrow Electronics www.arrow.com