Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

bottom feed oil tank

Options
soot5bic
soot5bic Member Posts: 9
hi guys and gals,this is something i have wondered about and have never seen personally. will a bottom feed oil tank,properly pitched, leak from any accumulated sludge and water contamination or is the life span indefinite. i know nothing is indefinite but i am wondering if a bottom feed tank has a substantially longer life span than a side feed tank. also, with a roth tupperware tank, what do you do with any water that accumulates or is that not a problem? thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Although water "could" get in a tank from a delivery most water comes in due to condensation. Every tank has a vent pipe going outside. In the summer hot and humid outside, cool in the basement some hot humid air comes down the vent pipe and condenses in the cool tank.

Don't know what you mean by side feed and bottom feed. If you are referring to where the oil line comes out of the tank to feed the burner all tanks made now are bottom feed.

The latest thinking is to use bottom feed with a pitched tank that the sludge will not build up as it is sent to the burner and filtered out and when you start out it is all clean oil to start with.

Does it work is it any better than a side feed? Who knows?? Most tanks will last 30 years or more. Roth tanks are SS but any water could be pumped out through the top
    STEVEusaPA