Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Update from Previous thread

Options
Hi all, 
I wanted to start a new thread because since my last post stuff has changed slightly. 

1st- i went around to each radiator, checked the inlet valve to make sure they were fully open, some of them were partially closed. 

2nd, I followed advice on a question from another user and one of the fellows here recommended connecting a hose to the boiler drain, to the basement drain and open the manual valve fully and flush it out. 

3rd, I further pitched radiators 

So after all this there has been minor improvement, I think my problem comes down to a condensate issue like someone in the previous thread said as well as a discussion from 2016. Basically as the steam rises and hits the cold radiators it collapses and turns into steam. (word for word from a previous discussion) so a solution that was brought up is venting, i went to the plumbing store and picked up a Gorton number 5. all was good until the next morning when the steam was coming on for the first time in 8 hours. Cold fins, water collapsed and couldn't find its way back to the boiler.

So it's leading me to think either the Inlet Valve is shot and needs to be replaced, or the wet return might be clogged (if that's even possible).

I am attaching pictures of the return, if it were to be clogged how do i flush it?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    If the return is clogged the water level in your boiler will fall significantly when it is steaming because the condensate can't get back to the boiler.

The steam is supposed to "collapse" or condense back in to water in the radiators, that is how steam heat works. A lot of condensate trapped in a radiator will slow or prevent heating since the steam will be using its energy to evaporate that water instead of to heat the radiator.

Partially closed radiator valves will hold water in the radiators, on one pipe steam they have to be all the way open or closed.

Your spitting is likely because the radiator vents are trying to do all of the venting because as far as we can see there are not main vents. The higher velocity air will carry water with it.

I saw something that could be a main vent at the end of that main in the bulkhead, can you get more light in there and zoom in and take a few pictures of the far end of the main inside the bulkhead?
  • Fmassarotto_9
    Fmassarotto_9 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    If the return is clogged the water level in your boiler will fall significantly when it is steaming because the condensate can't get back to the boiler. The steam is supposed to "collapse" or condense back in to water in the radiators, that is how steam heat works. A lot of condensate trapped in a radiator will slow or prevent heating since the steam will be using its energy to evaporate that water instead of to heat the radiator. Partially closed radiator valves will hold water in the radiators, on one pipe steam they have to be all the way open or closed. Your spitting is likely because the radiator vents are trying to do all of the venting because as far as we can see there are not main vents. The higher velocity air will carry water with it. I saw something that could be a main vent at the end of that main in the bulkhead, can you get more light in there and zoom in and take a few pictures of the far end of the main inside the bulkhead?

after the second to last pic it bends up, makes a 90 degree bend. straight, then another 90 and then connects to the long pipe as seen in the very last pic