Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube instinct combi boiler feed and expansion tank location

Options
mthmlf84
mthmlf84 Member Posts: 27
hi guys, anybody on here familiar with the TT Instinct expansion tank and boiler feed location requirements? I'm confused by the installation guidelines in the manual. The diagrams show them on the supply pipe after the hydraulic separator (that's what I'm using instead of the timesaver manifold which is backordered everywhere, doing a simple 2 zones of radiant floor manifolds with their own circulators and DHW).

It seems logical. But then the text explicitly states they want it on the return pipe, and I've seen them installed that way looking through examples on the internet, by people used to installing them. I'm not one of those people.

Any ideas/opinions?
thank you!

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    looks good

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I assume there is a pump inside the boiler for that side of the separator?

Really the tank could mount to any of the 4 ports of the sep. I like either of the returns best, just a bit cooler water is all.

Since the sep also removes dirt and particles, avoid connection at the bottom, without an offset.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mthmlf84
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    Options
    There was not a pump inside my Triangle Tube Instinct.  I added one (externally) so that I had primary/secondary piping and pumps.  There are terminals on the unit to wire/run the circulator.  There is also a place to wire for a pump for the secondary loop.  It is labeled “flame”.  

Low head boiler.  It doesn’t take much of a pump.

best wishes. 
  • mthmlf84
    mthmlf84 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys.
    there's a circ pump in mine, if you have a small system it apparently can run it. looks like this.

it's a grundfos ups 15 78 130

• jad3675
    jad3675 Member Posts: 127
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The non-combi does not have an internal pump, which is only used for the instantaneous DHW side. Like HotRod said, plumb the CH expansion tank on the return side of the hydraulic separator. The DHW expansion tank (which may not be needed on DHW, depending on local codes) goes on the cold water side of the boiler before it hits the boiler.

The instinct isn't like a HTP firetube with a pump and internal hydraulic separator.

edit: well of course the pump is used for both sides, though I wonder why they don't have one on the non-combi.