Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Stabilizer Assembly for Older Sunray Bantam Burner from American Burnham Boiler

jbar Member Posts: 6
I have a Old "Burham America" V-14 FC Bantam Series Boiler with the Sunray FC Series Burner. I need a Replacement "Stabilizer Assembly "Part # A 42640, which holds the 2 Electrodes in place. The right side mount cracked. Does anyone know where i can order this part whether it be New or Used ? Appreciate any help i can get. Thanks !


  • vtfarmer
    vtfarmer Member Posts: 100
    Post a picture of the part, I assume the part that cracked is aluminum or cast iron? Do you have the piece that broke off.

    You can likely braze it back on, it will be fairly easy if it's aluminum, but you'll need different rods and a hotter torch for cast iron. Depending on where/how it broke you might be able to even epoxy it back together, but with the right heat and rods brazing is fairly easy so I would go that route first.

    Full disclaimer: I assume you know that fixing this dinosaur of a burner is beyond what would be considered a good idea by the industry, and my brazing suggestion is spoken by someone who is an experienced welder and fabricator. If you've never done this sort of thing, your heating system is probably not the place to start.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,032
    That part is probably not readily available anymore. I would try to contact a Burnham distributor or Burnham directly if possible. 

    If all else fails Beckett makes a part that could be used. I believe it's part number AFG.
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,472
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,199
  • jbar
    jbar Member Posts: 6

    3 Pics i took to show the situation.As you can see i have tie wire tightly wrapped around on the right side of the broken Right side Stabilizer mount....
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,479
    There's a reason it looks like the Dead Sea Scrolls. Time to upgrade. You're not going to find anything specific to the American burner.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 910
    I have something that looks similar to your picture from a Wayne burner.
    You can have it if you want it.

    Now that whole assembly can be replaced with modern, readily available pieces. Like this from Beckett.
    BUT you should have a professional boiler technician do the conversion!
    And like @SuperTech already said, a complete Beckett AFG burner assembly would be the better way to go if your boiler is in good condition. You can find used take-offs on ebay. A new modern burner would be a huge upgrade.


  • vtfarmer
    vtfarmer Member Posts: 100
    That's stamped steel, I was picturing the part from a much older burner which would be cast. What specifically is the wire holding together? Is the metal split apart on the bottom of the clamp around the electrode? Or is the screw on top stripped?
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 14,560
    Take it to a welding shop and have them tig weld it
  • jbar
    jbar Member Posts: 6
    THANKS !
  • jbar
    jbar Member Posts: 6
    I actually used a Piece of strong steel tie wire i had in my shed as a temporary solution. Our Burham V-14 America Oil Boiler is about 30 Years i estimate. I have the Origional Manual. The metal split apart is on the bottom of the clamp if i remember correctly. Yes the screw threads on the electrode Clamp/Holder are stripped and i put a longer screw with a Nut on the ends to keep the electrode assembly tight.
  • jbar
    jbar Member Posts: 6
    You know your stuff. I will let you know at some point. My Brothers may help us buy a Replacement Beckett Burner. I was told that i need This: Message from: patriot-supply

    Beckett recommends the following set up for that boiler...

    B2007 - Chassis
    580327 - welded air tube combination
    1.00 X 80°A - nozzle

  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 8,889
    I'm not sure i'm exactly recommending this, but couldn't you hold that together with a hose clamp?
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,479
    I dont know but maybe go with the standard air tube because of the fixed insertion depth. Unless you're absolutely sure of the measurement. Was the chamber ever replaced? Condition? In the same position as when it left the factory?
    I'm not familiar with the V14 but it's not a positive pressure boiler, right? Otherwise I would think the OEM guide would spec the welded flange/air tube. The guide also specs a B Solid nozzle at 100 psi.
    You do plan to have an experienced oil tech do the whole thing, right? Then that tech will do combustion, draft, and smoke tests to make sure everything is safe and efficient. 

  • PatMacDonnell
    PatMacDonnell Member Posts: 3
    For the love of...COME ON! stop the insanity here and get a new burner. If cost is an issue, then ask your fuel provider to check out the "Oil Heat Cares" program. Assuming they have a local OESP chapter, Oil Heat Cares will provide the parts and material ...gratis