Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Concentric radiator

Options
PMart
PMart Member Posts: 3
I own all the Holohan books and have read them and I swear I’ve seen this set up and I can’t find it anywhere. Isn’t that the way of things lol. I’ve got a customer who wants to replace this rad with baseboard. It’s my hope I can convince them otherwise. What can you tell me about this set up to help my research efforts as to wether or not this is a good idea. I have not been on site yet. This is customer pictures. Tia!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Steam or water?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    It looks like it is hot water and something similar to the Unique valve.
    PMart
  • PMart
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I won’t know until I get on site tomorrow. They just bought the house and they don’t know what they got yet. If the radiator valve is the correct valve then I’m guessing hydronic 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    If you replace it with some other type of emitter you have to be careful that you can balance it with the rest of the system. That ci radiator will heat and cool very slowly. a convector or fin tube would really need to be on a separate zone. you could possibly make ci baseboard work.
    PMart
  • PMart
    Options
    Mattmia2, those were my concerns and why I thought to reach out to this knowledge base, Incase one of you guys have come across this and had to switch it up. 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I don't think the being fed from one end is an issue unless that is some sort of weird steam valve (but I think it is probably hot water). You can always sneak a return behind or under its replacement or use a valve with a lance. The bigger issue is being able to balance it with the rest of the system.
    PMart