Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valves

Options
Can I use Honeywell zone valves with taco controller

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 862
    Options
    Yes, it's done all the time. However, we prefer Taco and Caleffi zone valves.
    STEVEusaPASuperTech
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    They are compatible with our ZVC control. If you need any help or have questions please feel free to call into Taco Tech Support 401-942-8000 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,216
    Options
    Caleffi Z one zone valves connected to Caleffi Relay boxes get you 5 year warranty on both😉
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTech
  • natedean
    natedean Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The caleffi zone valves cost a bunch more and a need like 7 .I'm looking for ten zone controller wat is my best option
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    They all cost $. Taco zone controls with Honeywell or Erie zone valves ar probably the least $$ you can get. Check the different options on Supply House.com
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I would strongly recommend staying away from the Honeywell zone valves. Honeywell makes a lot of great products but the zone valves are not one of them. I see nothing but constant problems with them. I replace a couple every week during heating season. Caleffi Z one or Taco Zone Sentry are much better quality. 
    rick in AlaskaHomerJSmithkcopp
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,846
    Options
    natedean said:
    The caleffi zone valves cost a bunch more and a need like 7 .I'm looking for ten zone controller wat is my best option
    Or the Caleffi equivalent. 
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I had a similar situation with 7 zone with 7 circulators, but Taco only has a six zone controller, so I added to the six controller a single Taco controller. That may work with ZVCs. See, HVACNUT.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,710
    Options
    the cv of the honewell valves is a lot lower than taco zone sentry valves. The taco valves aren't much more than the honeywell and are a lot easier to install and wire.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    the cv of the honewell valves is a lot lower than taco zone sentry valves. The taco valves aren't much more than the honeywell and are a lot easier to install and wire.
    HW, Erie, Caleffi spring return valves are all 7.5- 8 Cv. Should be plenty of flow size for 3/4 copper
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    Some of the Honeywell 3/4" valves are only 3.5 Cv
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited February 2022
    Options
    With a Cv of 3.5, flowing 3.5gpm will create the same pressure drop as 220' of ½" PEX at .5 gpm. Most of the systems you and I design will have no problems handling that with a small pump, no? Of course, that pressure drop gets added in to all the other pressure drops along the way: boiler HX, indirect HX, pipe length, number of fittings, etc. What I'm saying is that it's important to pay attention to the limitations of the devices you install, but keep in mind that it might not come into play with the specific system that you are designing.

However, it could save a watt or two if you're using a ΔP circulator.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    Options

Some of the Honeywell 3/4" valves are only 3.5 Cv

They also come in a 1, 2.4, and 5 Cv, but unless a supplier mis orders them, the 8 Cv is most common. Maybe not many installers know why there are so many options or how to apply them. Good idea to always look at the box or label on the valve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Bob: How would you use a zone valve with a Cv rating of 1?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,710
    Options
    You would use all of them to roughly balance the different zones.