Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Conversion

Options
Hi everyone. New to forum. Curious if there is a way to remove a stainless steel heat exchanger gas fired and replace with a hydronic coil. I recently installed a navien combination unit to replace hot water heater and use for some radiant installation. I see there are coils to install in the plenum above furnace but I'm curious if there's a way to pull out the burner assemble and stainless and replace with a large hydronic coil to occupy the same housing space. Or is it t simply a matter of replacing the furnace entirely with a hydronic one. Thank you in advance
Derheatmeister

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    So basically convert the furnace to an air handler? Yes it could be done. More common to add a coil in the ductwork is $$$cheaper and easier. To pull the heat exchanger and put a heating coil in it's place it could be done by someone with good sheet metal experience
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,543
    Options
    IMO it is not worth trying to jerry rig something.....Lifebreath makes a good hydrocoil unit...
    BTW..You probably should run the coil on a high temp curve with a minimum setpoint to avoid blowing cold air... And the infloor portion at low temperature depending on your system design criterias
    In other words : I would set it up as a two temp system..