Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: What Ray Taught Me

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited February 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

What Ray Taught Me

We all had to start somewhere, right? In this episode, Dan Holohan recalls a lesson learned the hard way and a mentor who had a brutal brand of kindness.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.
ranzerox

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    ... "and we’d just wing it as we went along." Dan, my eyebrows went up when I heard this! I don't think I've ever met anyone who prepares better for their presentations than you. Now I know why. Thanks Ray :D

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Yes, Larry, he put the fear into me real good. :#
    Retired and loving it.
  • FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Another great story! I once attended an asbestos refresher class (30 years of those, 3 days per year...) where the instructor started by stating that he'd never before taught the class and did not really know much about asbestos. At least he was honest. I did most of the class for him.
    Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
    CLambayetchvacker
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I didn’t have the good sense to know what I didn’t know. I shiver when I think about that now. Dopey kid. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    I started with an old timer for a boss. he was 65 and I was 20 or 21 just out of the community college.

He was a pretty good pipefitter and was a licensed electrician so I ended up following in his footsteps

But I can remember a "few brutal teaching moments". And he usually didn't have to say much of anything.

I can remember my first year trying to pipe up a commercial burner it was all black pipe. As he was wiring the burner he must have kept one eye on me and my progress which he apparently wasn't happy with.

As struggled with the measurements and the pipe wrenches (putting them on the pipe backwards etc) he suddenly stopped wiring and appeared at my side. "give me those wrenches" was all he said,

And he finished the pipe I was working on.

I watched what he was doing and felt more than a little stupid and humiliated. But I didn't get mad I just learned by watching him.

This happened a few times in my first few years

I learned a lot from him.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    That’s a beautiful story, Ed. I am so thankful for all those tough teachers. They did it all by example. Our job was to be quiet and pay attention. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Great story and something we can all learn from that nobody knows it all and we all can learn at any point in our life’s if we so chose to . Thanks for sharing Dan
    Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Good thoughts, Clammy. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 394
    Options
    I came up in engineering, not HVAC, but the same thing applies. I had some fairly crusty old engineers that taught me some harsh lessons early on. Not very pleasant, but fast, efficient and effective. I worry about today’s young people who are so concerned about “feelings” and being “politically correct” that they may never learn such lessons at all or will take many years rather than a few hours to do so.
    mrhemiCLambVegas
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Amen, @Voyager
    Retired and loving it.
  • Raymond C. Wockley
    Options
    Dan, this is great, I am sending it to each of my four grandchildren. I think all of us have had an experience such as this, ever in my case as an over educated college graduate with a lot of book learning telling my infantry platoon sergeant just how to go about talking the bad guys to go away. I am now a retired US Army Infantry officer and business owner, started reading your newsletters decades ago when I became interested in radiant heating for a property I own. Don't stop doing the good communicating until the light on your desk is turned off...
    thegreatcornholio
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys. I hope it all gets read and shared. For me, that was the last day I hung out with my ego. Haven’t seen him since. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Larry WeingartenthegreatcornholioSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Great story Dan! Thank you Ray for your hand at making Dan who he is for us all. I sure can relate, I've bumbled through a few lessons early on, and occasionally still do. My thick skull is wearing a bit thinner these days.

One question Mr. Holohan, what size room holds 30 large people? 🤔 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 394
    Options

Great story Dan! Thank you Ray for your hand at making Dan who he is for us all. I sure can relate, I've bumbled through a few lessons early on, and occasionally still do. My thick skull is wearing a bit thinner these days.

One question Mr. Holohan, what size room holds 30 large people? 🤔 

A “30 Large” size, of course.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Exactly! 😂
    Retired and loving it.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Dan, I loved this story. I attended several of your classes in Long Island. Dan, you let me attend the classes for free because when I met you at the New York City Housing Authority to view my the installation of the condensate syphon loop and to raise a condensate pump out of the a deep pit that always got flooded. You thought that was a great idea and encouraged me to write an article about that installation,

Dan you even edited the article and I submitted it and got paid $500.00 for it and was given an opportunity to write another article.

Through all of our meetings and discussions you helped me learn and taught me to help other people as you helped me.

We both come from a shared back round its called the Service Industry, a place where one can make a good living and be rewarded for excellence.

I am for ever thankful for what you taught me and opened the door for me into a consulting business.

Jake
    Larry Weingartenmattmia2reggiVegas
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks, Jake. The feeling is mutual. I treasure our friendship. 
    Retired and loving it.
    reggi