Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fluttering flame on burner

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
I got a call today from a customer that has an 8 yr old atmospheric LP gas water heater. It has run flawless until the last week of so.
It makes hot water but the sound is off. The front part of the burner ring about 6 of the little flames flutter when on.
No sooting.
There are 3 other gas appliances and they all run fine.
Unit is in a dry finished basement up off the floor. Thoughts?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    flame arrestor screens clogged. maybe gas pressure issues.
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Only things you have already thought of. Gas pressure on manifold, dirty burners, Bird in the flue pipe.

I guess we can't blame the gas if the other appliances run fine
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Options
    On the Honeywell gas valve where do you check the pressure? I didnt see a port. Draft was good.
    The whole place is piped in CSST. Made me wonder about the resonation on that... but its been fine for 8 yrs.
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 794
    Options
    A draft reading only means the flue is functional and there is combustion air in the room. It does not mean the heater is venting or air is getting to the burners properly. Any time there is a question about combustion and there are no combustions numbers to diagnose, we need to seek out a physic and a crystal ball. How many guesses are better than one? None!
  • kcopp
    Options
    Checked gas pressure... good. Pulled burner vacuumed out chamber, (very mildly dirty) Blew out burner w compressed air. Reassembled.
    Re-lit. Runs fine. Ran combustion test. Numbers were very good.
    Thanks.

Larry WeingartenEBEBRATT-Ed
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    @kcopp Sometimes things work out.
    kcopp
  • Defiant
    Defiant Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Check for recall with the manufactuers on line. There's a recall for some water heaters port flame assembly replacement free of charge if your water heater matches the brand, model & I believe the serial #. The details will be online. It's good habit to check online before dishing out more cash out of your pocket is what i'm learning. I also had my Hayward pool pump motor go out it was also recalled way pass warranty, but the company still honored the replacement free of charge.