Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Vent Damper - Pilot Vent Plug

Options
Jeff__
Jeff__ Member Posts: 6
The very well established plumbing/heating company in my area recently installed a new Burnham IN4 for me. I was looking over the manuals after the install and noticed the vent plug for the electric damper was taped to the cover of the manual. Since the IN4 has electronic ignition and not a standing pilot, the plug should have been installed, right? A few weeks after the install a more junior plumber from the company (not the lead guy) came back to tighten up 2 unions that where dripping and I questioning him about the plug, he got snippy with me and said "no".

Is there any good reason why this pug would/should not be installed with my setup? Does it make much difference?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jeff

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    Options
    Looking at the manual on page 22 it says it's used with both standing pilot and electronic ignition.

I would call the service manager
  • ayetchvacker
    ayetchvacker Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I’m not sure what you mean by vent plug but... If it uses a Honeywell aqua stat they come with a jumper plug that is removed so you can plug in an electric vent damper. Is that what you’re referring to? If so then no it isn’t used.  
    Fixer of things 
    Lead Service Technician
    HVAC/R
    ‘09Moto Guzzi V7
    ‘72CB350
    ’83Porsche944
  • Jeff__
    Jeff__ Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2022
    Options

I’m not sure what you mean by vent plug but...;

To clarify, I talking about a motorized vent damper. It has a hole in the rotating damper for use with boilers with a standing pilot light and "plug" that you insert in the hole for boilers with electric ignition. (see 2 attached photos). My installer left the plug out and I'm questing why since my boiler has an electric ignitor.

ayetchvacker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    Options
    Then put the plug in as long as you have electronic ignition. It doesn't make much difference though
    kcoppayetchvacker
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,724
    Options
    Every little bit helps.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment