Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

F&T trap location

Should there be an F&T trap from the main ( in the boiler room) 10’ from the boiler connected to the return at the condensate receiver. I have a lot of steam coming out of the receiver vent and now the boiler is running out of water. We replaced this trap when we replaced the boiler. ( the old one was doing the same thing). Thanks

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is that the only return line going to the cond pump receiver?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    You probably have bad radiator traps or other traps that are bad. I am assuming this is a two pipe system
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    On larger steam systems we often drip the header and with real long mains we will install drip traps along the mains.
  • brents
    brents Member Posts: 3
    Yes it’s a 2 pipe system that is zoned 1st floor and lower level, there are traps on all of the convectors. Each main is about 100’ long. This trap is the first one coming off the main and is piped into the return just before it goes into the receiver, which is 6’ away. I am wondering as well is it so close to the boiler because of the zone valves which are about 20 to 30 feet after it? We are going to test it today. Thanks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @brents
    If you have steam coming out of the receiver vent it's a sign of bad traps.

Run the steam pressure as low as possible to get distribution. If a trap is really bad you can sometimes here it blowing steam.

Its important to track that down. Condensate too hot from the receiver is bad for the pumps it e up water due to the lost steam is bad for the boiler
  • brents
    brents Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I found an original F&T trap buried out in the system that’s no good, going to change all the traps at once as well. We have the pressure down to 1.5. Thanks again.