Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat King diesel unit

Options
ayetchvacker
ayetchvacker Member Posts: 63
Waiting for a schematic to hit my email. Complaint was the burner drops out randomly, sometimes after running all day. They told me they have replaced the porcelains, cad cell, ignition transformer, oil filter etc. Anyone have experience with these? I found the electrodes way out and the flame retention ring crusty. Odd thing is the controller seems to know when flame is present but it’s not wired to the Becket controller. So I imagine there must be another flame sensor/eye wired to the main controller somewhere else that may be causing this issue. Weird that it has no retries. Any help is appreciated. Thank youit 
Fixer of things 
Lead Service Technician
HVAC/R
‘09Moto Guzzi V7
‘72CB350
’83Porsche944

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    That Beckett burner can operate with a Beckett primary control

or with a control that is supplied by the manufacturer of the equipment

It all depends on the equipment. It appear that your equipment may have both a 7556 Primary Safety Control and an equipment manufacturer safety and limit control.

Beckett info on your burner is located here. https://www.beckettcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ADC-12v-Burner-Manual.pdf
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ayetchvacker
  • ayetchvacker
    Options
    That Beckett burner can operate with a Beckett primary control or with a control that is supplied by the manufacturer of the equipment It all depends on the equipment. It appear that your equipment may have both a 7556 Primary Safety Control and an equipment manufacturer safety and limit control. Beckett info on your burner is located here. https://www.beckettcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ADC-12v-Burner-Manual.pdf
    Yes you can see the digital control in the one picture. So after looking at the schematic when the burner control relay closes to open the oil solenoid it also closes a relay to the green “BURNER ON” light and tells the digital control the flame is “present” even if it isn’t. Problem is that if anything other than the limit cycling the burner off happens it won’t allow the burner controller to retry. The digital control just drops power to the burner. I should have checked the pump screen. Supposedly it was just serviced but I’m going to go over everything when I go back including pulling the heat exchanger plugs out for inspection. Kind of hard to focus when it’s 20° and there’s a diesel engine running right over your head😁
    Fixer of things 
    Lead Service Technician
    HVAC/R
    ‘09Moto Guzzi V7
    ‘72CB350
    ’83Porsche944
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited February 2022
    Options
    There should be a rating plate with a model number on the equipment. you may even find a wiring diagram with YOUR operating control and YOUR safety control. You may be able to eliminate the Beckett Control if there is a flame safety in YOUR system. If there is no safety in YOUR system then you should keep the Beckett control. If you need to reset the Beckett control regularly, or YOUR operating control, then you need to solve the flame problem or ignition problem in order the get the equipment to burn properly so that none of the controls need to engage for detecting a flame failure.

The controls are probably working and doing their job. You need to find the flame failure issue, be it fuel, water in the fuel, ignition, or combustion air adjustment. Think of the fire triangle

FUEL........OXYGEN
    ......HEAT.......

find the missing part of the triangle and correct it.

Of course, then have a combustion analyzer to make the proper adjustments to the flame.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ayetchvacker
  • ayetchvacker
    Options
    So after reviewing the schematic I learned the following:
    the digital controller does not actually see any flame. When the burner control energizes the oil solenoid it also closes a relay telling the digital control “flame present” even if there isn’t actually a flame yet. If the burner drops out the solenoid before the call ends the relay also opens and the digital controller see this a “loss of flame” and cuts power to the burner which does not get a chance to retry. The burner seemed fine to me. I suspect the relay is weak and may be dropping out but we may never know since they swapped in a different heater today before I could go back. 
    Fixer of things 
    Lead Service Technician
    HVAC/R
    ‘09Moto Guzzi V7
    ‘72CB350
    ’83Porsche944