Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe size 3 inch or 4 inch? Pallet Stove, manufacture says 3 in good, Pros say 4 inch is better.???

Options
LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
Hello all,
I addition to my primary oil / Steam heating system, I been doing some searching for supplemental heat source... its a pallet stove... living space is 1500 SQ.... Stove is good for 2500 SQ... Manufacturer suggest 3 inch L type exhaust pipe, most installation of pallet stove pros suggest 4 inch exhaust piping... It would be probably $400 ducks more than 3 inch, $ inch don't require 3 screws at each connection.... As I have leaned, also having intake air for combustion from out side may be a better option, than burn air from inside of the house...
If anybody have experience in the field of having other home heating sources, such as pallet Stoves, please share your knowledge, suggestions, and experiences... thank you and best!
Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,723
    Options
    LS123 said:

Hello all,
    I addition to my primary oil / Steam heating system, I been doing some searching for supplemental heat source... its a pallet stove... living space is 1500 SQ.... Stove is good for 2500 SQ... Manufacturer suggest 3 inch L type exhaust pipe, most installation of pallet stove pros suggest 4 inch exhaust piping... It would be probably $400 ducks more than 3 inch, $ inch don't require 3 screws at each connection.... As I have leaned, also having intake air for combustion from out side may be a better option, than burn air from inside of the house...
    If anybody have experience in the field of having other home heating sources, such as pallet Stoves, please share your knowledge, suggestions, and experiences... thank you and best!

The 4" is twist lock but the 3" isnt?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    thank you @ChrisJ ....I was told. 3 inch need 3 screws plus high heat glue...four inch would be much easier to maintain long run... I was wondering if there are efficiency benefits for having 4 inch vents for pallet stoves, plus outside air intake...
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    Options
    Is it a positive pressure, sidewall type venting system? If so I would go with the system that does not use screws and a field applied joint seal. A product with a gasketed system that is intended for and listed to the application, is my thought.

The appliance manufacturer should indicate vent products that are allowed or certified for their product?

What is the BTU size of the stove? The air for combustion needs to come from somewhere. Pulling all air from indoor can create some drafts and pull air down other vents in the building. I would go with the outside air kits that are sometimes offered as an option.

I would highly recommend a top quality CO detector in the room. Carbon monoxide is odorless, and can be a silent killer. Protect the occupants!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    Thank you @hot_rod
    stove is 40K btu an hour. I would get intake air from outside, and wanted to use 4 inch L pipes installed since they are easy to assemble and clean. Absolutely agree on CO monitors, I literally have multiple installed in the house... and plan to add few more CO and smoke detectors. It has a built in controls and remote as well.. pic attached for info sharing...

Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    by the manufacture of the stove has certified 4 inch L pipes and a connection from the stove 3 inch to 4 inch vent... just FYI.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    wmgeorge