Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Convert baseboard to radiant

drhvac
drhvac Member Posts: 190
I'm a heating contractor and this is for my house. Installing baseboard and radiant isn't my specialty but I have done it in my own house and some baseboard for customers over the years. Most of my work with boilers is either replacing them or fixing them. I have an average ranch house of about 2000sq. ft., half is zoned with the baseboard, and the other is radiant. I'm going to be redoing my bathrooms and I want to convert the 2 baseboards that are in each bathroom to radiant. The bathrooms are at the end of my baseboard loop right now. The easier thing to do would be to just put some electric radiant and be done with it, but as a heating guy who already has radiant in the other half of the house, would that make sense? So the question is how is the best way to do this? I can't run 160-degree water through the floor. Is it best to cut out the baseboard and put in a separate zone of radiant for the bathrooms? The other half of the house has a Viega manifold which is maxed out as far as zone outlets. I'm thinking maybe a separate zone with a mixing valve, controlled by a zone valve or separate circulator? I do have an outdoor reset attached to this boiler so the water temp rarely is maxed at 180, only on the coldest days, but I still can't risk sending to hot of water under the floor. What do you guys think?