Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Fault Codes - Propane Contaminants?

Options
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,002
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
We have been working with a Viessmann B2HA boiler that has been fraught with error codes and lockouts, most having to do with combustion errors. Most often is an "E5" fault which links to "fault, flame amplifier" with a remedy of "replace control unit" and we replaced the circuit board and coding card. That lasted about a week and the owners called me yesterday to say the boiler had locked out again on "E5".

The house is remote and the boiler uses propane; we've had the propane supplier out to adjust the delivery pressure and the owners told me that they just replaced the storge tank. Viessmann told me they often see combustion errors after propane dealers use a certain gas to remove condensate and some of the gas gets left behind. Does anyone have experience with this?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    edited January 2022
    Options
    See if it's possible to get another propane company to set up a temporary tank, this way if the error happens again we know it's not due to propane, because problem caused by too much methanol is rare.

Edit: Or just ask the same propane company to set up a temporary tank, chance of both tanks have contaminants is rare too, if this company is serving hundreds/thousands of customers then others would see similar issues.