Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas pipe addition question

Options
davehosler
davehosler Member Posts: 4
Looking to add a gas dryer on the far side of my house. Will use black pipe. When I got my permit back, the inspector added a note where I indicated that I was going to tap into the existing pipe that says “tie in as per 2018 IFGC”. I’m connecting a 1” black pipe into an existing 1.25” black pipe. I was going to use a 1.25” T with 2 - 1” connections (one for the existing appliance run, the other for the new pipe run). Would that satisfy code? Thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    IFGC is reffering to the "international fuel gas code"

Can't say for sure without a sketch of the piping and the loads connected.

But why would you run 1" to a gas dryer? Gas dryers are usually around 35,000 btus 35cfh of gas/hour.

You would seldom have to run anything larger than 3/4" to a dryer maybe even 1/2" if the run isn't too long.

Be better if you post a sketch
  • davehosler
    Options
    Went through all the required sizing with the town. Can’t say for sure why the 1” is required but not a problem, just trying to figure out if there is anything specific needed to “ tie in as per 2018 IFGC” that is more than a properly sized T. Thanks
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Proper support of runs, proper use of drips, dope, not tape etc.

Here's the code:

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IFGC2018/chapter-3-general-regulations
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • davehosler
    Options
    Thanks, didn’t know if I was missing something. Seems straight forward.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    According to the table in the code, 3/8" iron pipe is good for 22,000 htu/hr at 150 ft, so half inch is probably sufficient unless your house is like 300 ft.
  • davehosler
    Options
    All of my sizing was fine for all of the appliances existing and proposed. The only thing that made me question my ability was when my permits came back with a specific notation “tie in as per 2018 IFGC” where I was going to tie in. I questioned myself as to why they felt the need to add that note as I had thought I was doing everything to code and assumed I missed something. I guess I just over though it.