Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Size of Radiator Shutoff Valve

Options
ben_18
ben_18 Member Posts: 70
I'm looking for your thoughts on what size this valve is. I have a few pictures from it. I'm guessing it is 3/4" based on the tee coming out to the air valve with a reducer and the air valve is 1/2".
(As an aside, this is the top floor of a townhouse in NYC and they installed an air valve on before the radiator. After looking on google this air valve is a Hoffman 74 for a unit heater and based on the venting chart it looks similar to a Maid O Mist #4 valve so its not doing much. I might replace at a future point it if I think it will help balance the system.)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

ScottSecor

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    It was probably installed to help get the steam to that radiator faster, being on the top floor. There was a recent thread about this subject here

I would agree with you, as slow as that vent is, it's probably not doing a tremendous amount. I'd say put a Gorton #1 on there and see what happens. Maid-O-Mist #1 would do the same for less money, depends on your brand loyalty. ;)

As far as valve size, are you talking about the inlet valve on the radiator? If so I doubt it's smaller than 1".
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    It looks like the outside threads of that vent are 3/4", it has a 1/2" pipe for a riser screwed into the inside threads of the vent fitting. Looks like a 1/2x probably 1" bushing for the 1/2" pipe.
  • ben_18
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

It was probably installed to help get the steam to that radiator faster, being on the top floor. There was a recent thread about this subject here

I would agree with you, as slow as that vent is, it's probably not doing a tremendous amount. I'd say put a Gorton #1 on there and see what happens. Maid-O-Mist #1 would do the same for less money, depends on your brand loyalty. ;)

As far as valve size, are you talking about the inlet valve on the radiator? If so I doubt it's smaller than 1".

Thanks. I was asking about the inlet valve to the radiator. So you and JUGHNE are saying 1" so that's probably what ill order to replace it.

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @op The size is usually cast into the valve body. Maybe try a mirror to look behind it?

Bburd
  • ben_18
    Options
    @bburd and @tommay thanks for your idea. The problem is I this is a rental and I don't have easy access to the apartment. I will order the 1" and hopefully that will be the right size.

• ben_18
    Options
    tommay said:

What's the reason for changing it? Is it leaking? At the nut on the radiator? At the packing on the stem? They can be taken apart and inspected....or are you looking to remove that vent assembly? If so you can remove that tee underneath and find an angle steam valve easily otherwise plug the tee....

The radiator isn't getting hot. I tried replacing the radiator's air vent, but that didn't help. The valve doesn't move so I think it is closed shut. I want to take out the valve guts from the new valve and replace the old valve with it.

• SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,007
    Options
    You say it isn't getting hot. Does the radiator get any steam? If you remove the vent, does it get any steam?

What have you tried that makes you decide the valve is probably stuck shut?

Unless the valve is an exact replacement the parts probably aren't interchangeable. This is the manufacturer's information. The number 1 in the valve label on the handle does not guarantee it is a 1 " valve. The dimensions on the valve sheet may be useful to be sure. From the sketch, the valve stem does not rise when you open the valve.

https://watts.com/dfsmedia/0533dbba17714b1ab581ab07a4cbb521/20467-source/es-ra-1-sw-pdf

Hap_Hazzard
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Might want to order a spud wrench while you're at it. The radiator spud probably won't come out easily.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24