Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A tour of the Buderus Cast Iron boiler factory

Options
Shahrdad
Shahrdad Member Posts: 120
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
I just came across this video where Bob Vila toured the Buderus cast iron boiler factor in Wetzlar, Germany. I am not sure whether this was recorded before or after Bosch bought Buderus. It's really nice to see how the sections are made.
Does anyone know whether the boilers sections are still made at the same plant, or are the boilers for the American market made/assembled here in the USA? The tour starts around minute 4:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjD9laqyTQ

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    My biz partner and I went on a 2 week trip with Buderus appx 15 yrs ago. It was a lot of fun and very informative.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    I do not think they make any sections in the US. As far as I know they are all made in Germany
    kcopp
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Thinking of the thermal shock thread that is going on. 

Has anyone ever seen a Buderus crack a section? I never have, however I only have 3 commercial accounts with large Buderus boilers. All other Buderus boilers are residential. 

I've heard their special iron is almost shock proof. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I was there in 2005. Those trips are long gone. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Shahrdad
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,543
    Options

Thinking of the thermal shock thread that is going on. 

Has anyone ever seen a Buderus crack a section? I never have, however I only have 3 commercial accounts with large Buderus boilers. All other Buderus boilers are residential. 

I've heard their special iron is almost shock proof. 

I grew up near Wetzlar Germany and that is all we installed..
    I have NEVER seen one Crack
    Apparently it has something to do with the high silica content of the Cast iron..
    During my apprentice years they told us that they did some test in which they first dryfired these boilers and then filled them with Ice cold water without any problems... :#
    Probably a TUV requirement..
    Solid_Fuel_ManShahrdad
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,265
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I wonder if Buderus publishes the tensile and yield specs of their iron. Found this from a foundry in Wisconsin.
    Ductile iron castings are very strong compared to regular cast iron (gray iron). The tensile strength of cast iron is 20,000 – 60,000 psi while ductile iron starts at 60,000 psi and can go to 120,000 psi. The yield strength for ductile iron is generally 40,000 – 90,000 psi but the yield strength of cast iron is so low it is considered not measurable.
    Let us put strength in a different way. We have seen gray iron parts break when they hit the ground after falling ten feet. With a ductile iron casting, you can hit the part all day long with an eight-pound sledgehammer and it is not likely to crack.
    above quoted from https://willmanind.com/what-ductile-iron/
    I DIY.
    Solid_Fuel_Man