Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help on how to adjust a Honeywell L4103D upper temperature

Options
JustJenn
JustJenn Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I have a Allied Engineering SuperHot Boiler that supplies hot water heat to the house (baseboards). We had some maintenance done in the last weeks due to a failed pump which resulted in "kettling" and the upper temperature reaching 190.

We've noticed since then that the system is not getting the house to temperature very well. I observed the temperature range today and it is coming on at 160 and then off at 175 (see picture where it shuts off). I've been told we can go to 180 so I'd like to adjust this up to see if it helps the house.

The controller is a Honeywell L4103D and I cannot find any manual/user guide online for this model. I've also attached a photo of the controller.

It's hard to tell what it is currently set at and I am thinking the setting may not correspond to the actual result. Is it just a matter of turning the dial up 5 degrees and observing how it cycles?

Thanks,
Jenn

Comments

• Jlinde37
    Jlinde37 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    I'd turn it up 5 and see what happens, however 5° will probly not make much difference. But you are correct 180° is the normal high limit 
    JustJenn
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    In your bottom picture your high limit is set to 160. You can see the little tab below the dial turn the knob to 180 if you want till the 180 lines up with that tab
    JustJenn
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited January 2022
    Options
    That control is no longer available, It has been replaced by L4081 Your control was standard equipment on oil fired water heaters used for domestic hot water. The adjustable part is set for the desired water temperature. The black button limit was fixed at 200° or 220° and that would break the orange wire on the primary control (or #3 terminal on old stack switch) in order to stop the motor. This would cause the reset Button on the primary control to trip.

On your gas boiler... I could not guess at the reason for this additional limit, unless it was made to be approved by several jurisdictions that may require more safety devices than most of USA

The adjustment procedure has already been outlined correctly above. 180° is where I would set it. Possibly the repairman adjusted it by accident or to test the system and forgot to set it back to 180°

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

JustJenn
  • JustJenn
    JustJenn Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies!
    jlinde67 - I turned it up by 5 deg and now it is cycling from 165-180.
    EBEBRATT-Ed - it seems on this control that the set point if the lower temp and it has a 15 deg differential.
    EdTheHeaterMan - the boiler itself was made here in North Vancouver, BC, Canada apparently so perhaps we have an additional safety requirement here.
    I am going to see if I can find the boiler manual to see the maximum temperature and have left it so it cycles 165-180 for now.
    Thanks everyone!
    Jenn