Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old oil NRC boiler need help/advice

gsierra14
gsierra14 Member Posts: 4
Hello everyone!
Im looking to add a hot water heater indirectly to my boiler. Boiler is pretty old and looking to replace soon but haven’t given me any issues beside not getting enough hot water for showers. Looks like a external water heater on this boiler and I’m wondering how would I be able to make this work or can I just cap the external water heater and run a hot water heater directly? I’ll attach pics as well. The valve with the missing handle is cold water supply and the valve on top is hot water going out. Thanks in advance. ✌🏼

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    need more pictures
    gsierra14
  • gsierra14
    Will upload some more
  • gsierra14
    Hope these are good enough.
  • Oilmon
    Oilmon Member Posts: 8
    So, what is the problem? Water starting out hot but not keeping up with demand? What is boiler temperature at beginning and during DHW call? May be limed up coil, or possibly LL too low? More info por favor.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    For an indirect water heater you'd need to add a zone to the boiler, which is no small task.
    You could install an Aquabooster but you'd still be utilizing the coil.
    You could do a bit of re piping, add a drain valve and back flush the coil.
    You could save what you were going to spend on an indirect and apply it towards upgrading the whole system. 

Looking closer, I see you have 2 heat zones. That circulator practically laying on the floor, with no isolation valves is awesome. 

And these old Taco circs keep popping up lately. Says something about reliability. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I agree with @HVACNUT

I would not put the cost of a new indirect into that old boiler. Time to upgrade the system
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    edited February 2022
    A thermostatic mixing valve might help until he upgrades the system.