Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New chimney liner?

Options
mattyc
mattyc Member Posts: 44
When replacing a standard cast Iron oil fired boiler that is vented through a chimney, with a triple pass boiler like the buderas or viessmann, Is a new chimney liner needed? If so What type is typically used? I know these boilers typically run lower temps but I don't come across them very often, so I don't remember what material is normally used. Thanks for the input!

Comments

• DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It depends on what your current chimney is. If you have a masonry chimney on the exterior of the house, almost definitely. If your chimney is in the interior of your house and is of an appropriate size, maybe not.
    mattyc
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Yes chimney construction, chimney integrity (verified by a Level II inspection) and flue gas temperatures will determine the need for a liner.
    Hopefully a heat loss was done for proper boiler sizing.
    Some oil fired oil boilers can also be direct vented or vented with pipe thru the existing chimney.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

mattycBob Harper
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    The chimney must be suitable for the class of service. A level II inspection will undoubtedly reveal defects in the flue, which will require relining. While relining for sizing remains controversial, relining to repair a damaged or defective flue should not even be debated. If a flue is not intact or has defects, it is deemed "unsafe" according to the ICC codes and thus must be repaired. Most mfrs. now call for liners especially on higher efficiency equipment.
    mattyc