Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Events That Shaped Heating History

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

Events That Shaped Heating History

From explosions to inventions, Dan Holohan shares a timeline of events that impacted the heating industry and the fascinating stories behind them.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Great stories! The railroads made the large deposits of asbestos in Canada accessible in the 1870s, providing a way to insulate pipes and boilers.
    Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
  • johnlobb
    johnlobb Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Another great potboiler by Dan! your stories are interesting and informative as usual, Dan! Thanks again for sharing the results of your research, and much hard work, I'm sure, John Lobbestael
  • Peter Rozano
    Peter Rozano Member Posts: 17
    Options
    It's nice to know from whence we came. Kinda like joining 23 & Me. It's our heritage!
  • Shahrdad
    Shahrdad Member Posts: 120
    Options
    One of my friends has two of those radiators on the right on the third floor of his house. He has a one-pipe steam system in his 1898 house.
    Vegas
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for listening! Without you, I'm just talking to myself. :)
    Retired and loving it.
  • JK_Brown
    JK_Brown Member Posts: 24
    Options
    The book, 'The Most Powerful Idea in the World' by William Rosen covers the development of steam power up to the first trip of Rocket, the first steam locomotive.

He doesn't reach steam heating, but his real premise is the innovation in the 17the century of the idea of protecting ideas for a time if the were shared, i.e., patents. This innovation came from Edward Coke, both through the Case of the Monopolies and the Statute of the Monopolies. But to be fair, this all could have been quashed if Queen Elizabeth I hadn't consented to this challenge to her giving our monopolies to the favored.

We call this time the Industrial Revolution, but its real difference from prior periods of innovation is that it is the first that didn't "fizzle out".
    Vegas