Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basement rads on a rat slab ...

Options
woobagooba
woobagooba Member Posts: 186
edited January 2022 in Gas Heating
Folks. Image is one of a few refurb rads to be connected this week for basement heat. I'd like to try to get a moisture break under the feet to delay the onset of corrosion. What should I be considering ... pressure treated, PVC, etc? Thanks

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    synthetic rubber membrane? zinc sheet?
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Brick or concrete block piece?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2022
    Options
    That’s a cool old wall.  Can you imagine wresting those large stones into place by hand?
     I use something like this for direct floor:  4-Pack 7/8 In Black Rubber Chair pads
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Scotch-TM-Chair-Tips-SP602-NA-Black-Rubber-7-8-in-4-pk/1002690356

I built boxes out of PT 2x10 to get mine off the floor.   I also put them in on interior walls. 

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Corian or granite pucks made from kitchen counter top scrap. Fake plastic wood used in outdoor deck construction. No real wood, PT or not. All basements flood sooner or later. All basements are too humid sooner or later.
    I DIY.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Plastic checkers ... Milk container caps ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• woobagooba
    Options
    Thanks all. We found some unused synthetic panel and cut a few "coasters" from that.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I built boxes out of PT 2x10 to get mine off the floor.   I also put them in on interior walls. 

@PC7060
    IMO: I would not recommend this elevated Installation technique unless it is really necessary..
    Very little convection will remain..
    By Installing the radiators that high the BTU output is reduced drastically and additional rads may be required..
    Then again...It's just a shop and you have Plenty Outlets for the "Electrifcation"... :#
    PC7060
  • woobagooba
    Options
    We went with PVC pads. Copper risers to O2 barrier PEX running in the basement ceiling back to the boiler.

mattmia2
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @PC7060 IMO: I would not recommend this elevated Installation technique unless it is really necessary.. Very little convection will remain.. By Installing the radiators that high the BTU output is reduced drastically and additional rads may be required.. Then again...It's just a shop and you have Plenty Outlets for the "Electrifcation"... :#     

@Derheatmeister - no disrespect but I don’t see how raising a radiator 15” in a 8’ tall room has any impact on performance. If that was the case how would any wall or ceiling mounted radiator be feasible or effective? 

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    PC7060 said:

@PC7060
    IMO: I would not recommend this elevated Installation technique unless it is really necessary..
    Very little convection will remain..
    By Installing the radiators that high the BTU output is reduced drastically and additional rads may be required..
    Then again...It's just a shop and you have Plenty Outlets for the "Electrifcation"... :#     

@Derheatmeister - no disrespect but I don’t see how raising a radiator 15” in a 8’ tall room has any impact on performance. If that was the case how would any wall or ceiling mounted radiator be feasible or effective? 

Not disrespect taken...Proven fact is that a radiator is not as effective when you raise them off the floor...They will still work but you will loose some of the convectional properties..
    Radiant properties will remain the same not matter how high you installed it off the floor ;)
    PC7060