Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valves, water hammer, shared boiler, oh my!

Fish0uttawater
Fish0uttawater Member Posts: 1
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Thanks for reading. I’ve read a TON of related posts (sooooo helpful!), and I’m hoping some of you might be willing to chime in to help me come up with an action plan. 

I live in a condo with a shared boiler. One pump (runs at 15psi). I have no idea where my manual valve is for my hydronic baseboard zone. 

The water hammer is BAD!!!! It shakes the whole damn place and sounds like an anvil dropping and tumbling in every room. It’s worsening, and it wakes us at all hours. Most of neighbors claim to not have the same issue (except that they can hear MY water hammer issue), but so far one more person does, right next to me, and I hear theirs, too. It doesn’t matter how many zones are running, but it is much louder when it’s been on for several minutes versus one or two. 

I tried removing a spring. May be worse now. 

Thought maybe I could partially close my manual valve…I have no idea where that is. 

I discovered today that my 30 year old Honeywell zone valve is BACKWARDS. Heat flows left to right, arrow points left. I’m going to check my neighbors’ now to see if theirs is also backwards. 

Is this the likely culprit? If so, I might as well get a new valve, yes? What type? I’ve got 900sf to heat, so it’s a small zone. Could I also still potentially solve the issue by adjusting my manual valve…if I ever find it? I have access to the boiler room, but I have no idea what I’m looking at. 

Valves versus circulators? Anything else I should install while I’m in there? 

???

Also, I’m thinking if I have to replace a valve, the whole system will need to be drained (yes?), and perhaps I should suggest to my neighbor that they replace theirs at the same time to save time and cost?

I actually PAID a boiler guy last week to diagnose this water hammer problem, and he didn’t catch the backwards valve! He thought it was the pump pressure…but then why would most people in the same building with the same everything not be having the same problem. That didn’t help my trust in asking professionals who aren’t great detectives, and the only way to learn who is is the hard way. I can’t afford that. 

So I’ll come up with a plan of action. Halp?

Again, thanks for reading. 

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,814
    its been banging for 30 years! Yes, it needs to flow the correct direction.

What size pump? Over-pumping can be another cause

Delta P circulator are a nice upgrade for multi zone valved system.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Derheatmeister
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    It could be two problems. First of all a Honeywell zone valve put in backwards will most definitely make that noise, but so can a too large of a pump. And when the two are put together, then it gets really bad. I would just try having the zone valves re-done and see if that fixes the problem, and if it doesn't, then you can look further to see if it is a too large of a pump, or if it is wired so it runs all the time. Like Hot Rod said, you might need to put in a pump that isn't overpumping and causing too much flow.
    Rick
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,814
    My rule of thumb is any system that has 4 or more zone valves or actuators, properly installed :) should have either a pressure activated bypass valve or a delta P circ.

Even if there is no hammer or noise, the valve or ∆ pump assurers the proper flow as valves are opening or closing.

The bypass valve is a parasitic device, the correct ∆ circulator is a more eloquent choice and less electrical consumption regardless.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,567
    edited January 2022
    if you share a common boiler, then there must be some document that establishes who is responsible for this issue. An HOA document, or at least the lease or deed for your unit. I can't imagine that you should be responsible for a valve that was installed backwards before you arrived. Sometimes placing your rent or HOA fee in an escrow account until your problem is solved will get the HOA or Landlord to act. Money always talks. The attorney that is holding your money in escrow can easily send a letter to the powers to be.

Since your repair will affect the whole building, then the whole building representative should be responsible for the repairs. When you signed up to live there, you art entitled to "Quiet Enjoyment" and that banging noise is far from quiet. Im no lawyer but I have worked on several multi family buildings and have been called to court to be a witness as to the proper functioning of a heating system for the tenant and also for the building owner. (different cases) You should look into what you are responsible for and what should be included in the fee you pay to live there.

Just random thoughts.

Mr. Ed

PS. Nice profile picture. Are you a singer on otherwise in the entertainment business? Or is that pic from Karaokia Night with Friends?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?