Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

100 year old Burnham Convectors vs 2022 Cast Iron Column-type Radiators

stormbytes
stormbytes Member Posts: 31
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Planning a major overhaul of the entire steam system in a 100 year old, 2-fam house in NYC. The house mostly has recessed Burnham convectors, probably installed when they built the house 100 years back. Most of the radiators in the house will need to be relocated as they were basically thrown in willy-nilly. I'll be repiping the entire heat system, but the house has NOT been gutted, (save for the basement) so I'm a bit constrained as far as where I can place risers, which brings me to my question.:

Do I invest the effort to salvage the convectors or do I replace them with standard column-type radiators?

I won't be able to re-use the convectors on the second floor because the original riser/runouts are inside the walls. I may be able to re-use several units on the first floor, but if any new cast iron radiator is just as good, I'd rather pay than lose so much time! Also, they'd have to be sandblasted which would cost some. Also, I don't know the wear and tear that these radiators endure over time, and what efficiency losses are inherent to older radiators. They all seem to get hot evenly across the top. Mid section is just slightly warm to the touch. Thinking that's just how they are designed.

Thanks for your insights!