Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Ward fittings

Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
Hey All,

Got a quick question. I got a buddy who yanked all the steam out of his old apt building. The radiators are gone. But he has a lot of near piping that has a bunch of good 2-4" ward fittings. Is there a market for older good ward fittings? and probably 100-150' of 4" black pipe?
Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    only if you can find someone that is interested like other contractors. The cost of hauling it probably outweighs it's value for most.

There is always the scrap yard
  • cross_skier
    cross_skier Member Posts: 201
    EBay might make sense for the fittings, offer free shipping and ship them with USPS prepriced "if it fits it ships" boxes.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,919
    Who would use used fittings ? Ok in a fix but 4"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    Are they CI or steel fittings?
    If it was a demo the fittings were probably not unscrewed.
    Most likely sawed off to the things apart.

I unscrewed some CI fitting and and when trying to reuse, found they got cracked when unscrewing.

Around here 4" Sch 40 black pipe has gone from $20 to $55 per feet.
    Old pipe above the water line may be in very good shape if it drained properly.
    I just reused some 1955 4" and 6" steam main, almost as clean as new pipe.

But I would not pay much over scrap value for it.
  • cross_skier
    cross_skier Member Posts: 201
    I'm sure someone will try with extra thick Teflon tape and the strong as Kevlar pipe dope
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    good responses guys. I get it. These are screwed fittings. They would be unthreaded when sold. I cant stock them, I have never needed one in my time. For instance a 2x4 black Ward reducing 90 online is pretty pricey right now, so hate to throw it away. The pipe is above water line and perfectly good.
    Well, I didnt see the difference in pipe and fittings as we see the old radiators. Thanks
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    I had a pipe welder make me lengths of 4" pipe.
    He cuts a 4 x 6 nipple in half and welds the halves on to a length of plain end 4" pipe, some was new pipe and some from 1955.
    But then you have new threads to work with.