Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New ignition transformer on Beckett burner

Context: I have a Weil McClain 6 65 series oil fired boiler from the mid 70s.  Beckett burner w a Sid Harvey T92 ignition transformer. Over had the boiler cleaned and serviced  annually for the past 16 years I've owned the house including this past October.  I've handled basic repairs myself outside the boiler like replacing wet return pipes, changing main vents, back flow preventers, etc.

Issue: intermittently for the past several weeks after the boiler starts up I've smelled a fuel oil smell near the boiler. Stabbing near the boiler while it starts I've noticed about 20-30% of the time it fires that the burner pump runs a longer time before ignition and when it finally ignites a puff of smoke pops out of the combustion chamber viewing port. And the smoke smells like fuel oil.  

Question:
What are the likely issues?
Is this most likely ignition transformer starting to fail? 
Is this a simple swap?
Is there an equivalent replacement transformer for the Sid Harvey T92 that I can get from supply house.com?  Or should I go to a Sid Harvey's for exact repellent

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    On the left side of the housing near the nozzle line will be the actual model. AF, AFG, or possibly SR.
    That fact that it does fire eventually means the spark is there but something else is causing the delay. 
    You need an experienced oil technician to service the burner and boiler.
    While scheduling, confirm the tech will do combustion, smoke, and draft tests to ensure clean combustion. 
    You also might want to upgrade the R8184G primary to one with a 15 second safety (versus 45 seconds on yours) and interrupted ignition. 

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
    It's likely a weak transformer or badly worn out electrodes. I would check the spark from the transformer with a screwdriver and ohm out transformer. I bet that burner has a constant spark primary control that leaves the transformer energized the whole time the burner is running. I usually recommend replacing these with modern interrupted ignition primary controls.  Then the new electrodes and transformer are subjected to less wear.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Looks like the old AF with the classic 1 screw in the transformer.
    Let a tech work on the burner issue. Could be air, vacuum leak, crud on the nozzle, bad ignitor, slipping coupling, and on and on.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mjgordon
    mjgordon Member Posts: 15
    Problem likely solved. I had a technician out on Monday. He tested the transformer and it was fine. But he found that the oil flow was slow, even with the tank being between 1/4 and 1/3 of a tank. He thought maybe the fuel line (about 20 foot total tube distance from tank in adjacent room from boiler) was occluded or possible the pickup tube inside the 275 gallon tank was too close to the bottom of the tank and picking up sludge. He came back the next day to clean the fuel line and inspect the filter (though the filter was replaced in Oct w/ normal annual service) and move the pick up tube, if necessary. I think all he had to do was clean the fuel line w/ a Chem Flush. No problems in the past few days.