Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High ringing noise from baseboard heater

kelpie
kelpie Member Posts: 3
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi all, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue - we have a gas fired hot water system that's half radiators and half baseboards, zoned separately with two circulator pumps. New Lochinvar combi boiler that's about a year old. Recently we've noticed the baseboard in the bath has been making this high pitched ringing noise whenever the heat is on. Definitely not the same as the familiar ticks/pings/pops the rest of the system makes - which is unfortunate because looking for "radiator making noise" just gives me things for those. This is a consistent ringing. 

My theory is it's related to the the bathroom Reno we had done over the summer, since it wasn't making any noise last winter and it's definitely isolated to just this one room/heater. The baseboard itself wasn't touched but we did re-tile.  From my inexpert examination, it looks like the tiler went up to the baseboard pipe when he put down thinset/mortar - would this cause some kind of issue when it needs to expand and explain the noise? Is there another, non-obvious explanation? 

Pics of what the baseboard looks like with the cover off (cover doesn't affect the noise either way)

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,567
    That direct contact may have something to do with it. Get a scratch all, or a file snd chop away at the thinset to make a space around it. If the noise goes away, you were right. if it dont, then you were wrong.

Brought to you by the Department of Common Sense.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    You also mentioned that you have a new boiler. What is the time frame of the new boiler in reference to the noise? (Did the boiler operate noise free for some time between boiler job and the tile job?)

Sometimes Flow-Check valves are the reason for high pitch noises. Another is a drop of loose solder lodged in the copper pipe has fallen off and is acting as a "Bell Clapper" near the noise location.

Speaking of Bell Clappers Watch this"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgYbogp1Ha0

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• kelpie
    kelpie Member Posts: 3
    Boiler was installed last February so it had a few months of pretty silent operation before summer.  I'll give a file a shot and if that doesn't help see if a plumber can come look at the valves and pipe. Thank you for the reply, I just didn't want to go hacking at the floor if there was zero chance that was the cause!!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Sometimes i used something like this to stop annoying pipe noise.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Holdrite-105-3-4-Tube-Isolator

Edward Young Retired