Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Sunrad Radiator

stormbytes
stormbytes Member Posts: 31
Do these rads need to be installed inside a wall? I'm gonna be moving a lot of things around. Wondering if I could install these freestanding beneath a window sill.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    Either free standing or in a wall is fine. If recessed increase the size by 10%
    stormbytes
  • stormbytes
    edited January 2022

Either free standing or in a wall is fine. If recessed increase the size by 10%

So do these radiators produce MORE heat when recessed inside a wall? Or do they need more steam/btu to heat them?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    Perhaps he means you need 10% more heat there because you have less wall insulation where the recess is....sometimes just about none.
    stormbytes
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    @stormbytes

It's in Burnhams brochure to add 10% if recessed.

If you have a room that has a heat loss of 15000 btus and you recess the radiation you would have to select the radiation off the chart at 15000 x 1.10 =16500
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,138
    It would be wiser to not completely recess them in outside walls and if so be sure to have some insulation between them and the outside other wise you may have issues w air vents whistling due to vacuumed forming as the system cools down . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    stormbytes
  • stormbytes
    clammy said:

It would be wiser to not completely recess them in outside walls and if so be sure to have some insulation between them and the outside other wise you may have issues w air vents whistling due to vacuumed forming as the system cools down . Peace and good luck clammy

That's an excellent point. Thank you!

I don't like the idea of recessed rads anyways. Will be pulling them out of the wall space and relocating. The steam job in this house is atrocious! It does work, but this place takes the award for shoddy workmanship.