Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi-Zone Steam

Options
Kybeans403
Kybeans403 Member Posts: 56
Only my first time at this house the other day as apparently homeowners previous company seems to have fallen out of favor.....

Anyway, found a failed honeywell actuator on one of the zones. Client states this will be the 2nd valve in 4 years on this zone. All other zones/actuators have been trouble free for many, many years.  

I was amazingly able to find a new motor locally and am returning tomorrow to replace,  but I'd be interested in any thoughts on why this valve in particular would fail again....

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    I assume the actuators are failing and not the valve. You could try different actuators. I would suspect Belimo has a kit and an actuator that will fit that valve.

The other issue is heat killing the actuator. On steam some manufacturers recommend mounting the valve/actuator on a 45 deg angle so the rising heat will not affect the actuator as much. Check the actuator instructions and maybe insulate the pipe and fittings.

Looks may be deceiving but on that valve the actuator seems closer to the riser pipe than the other valves maybe insulation will extend it's life