Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic water feeders. Why so polarizing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Dan reported a case of flooding where the water feeder had been piped from the water heater. He thought the calcite crystals that precipitate when water is heated fouled the valve seat and prevented it from closing. This is the only case I've heard of where the LWCO wasn't at fault, and most people know better than to use the hot water supply. In my limited experience, diaphragm valves fail to open when they go bad. They never fail to close.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    @Hap_Hazzard, that was from my McDonnell Miller training. They didn't want to supply hot water to their 47-2 feeder/cutoff because the feed valve wouldn't seat after awhile. Contractors used hot water out of fear that cold water would shock the boiler, but that water is going into a warm (or hot) return line before it reaches the boiler, so it was not a problem.
    Retired and loving it.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Some water feeders might not be compatible with certain LWCOs and vice-versa. The installation manual for the CycleGard LWCOs contains the following warning"

Note: Use of a solenoid valve or McDonnell & Miller Model 101A water feeder may cause flooding and is not recommended for use with this low water cut-off.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24