Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

National Grid - Precision testing - natural gas pipe condition test

Options
branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
National grid hired Precision testing to check out the condition of our gas pipes in the Brooklyn NYC area. A Precision testing field worker came by and inspected the pipes.

He dusted off some pipes he said belonged to national grid (near meter pipes). Then he spray painted them gray. He suggested I do the same on the pipes that belong to me to slow down rusting. Makes sense right????

Once he left I googled painting gas pipes. I've read once a gas pipe is painted it gets pressure checked at a way higher PSI than is normal operating PSI for natural gas. So I'm hesitant to paint them. How are you guys slowing down rusting on your gas pipes? I did take a wire wheel and knock down the rust.

I didn't pass Precision testings test b/c:

1. The previous owner sheetrocked over a section of the main entry pipe leading to the meters. I cut a rectangle to expose that covered section of pipe.
2. There was a galvanized pipe strap "supporting" a pipe. And that pipe strap was attached to a stud and not a joist. What kind of strap should I use? I supposes I can cut the stud out of the way and reach a joist.

NAtional grid billed me $400 (I've got 4 meters) b/c I'm not in compliance. I think I get that money back once I pass the test.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    You can paint the pipe any color you choose. Why did it not pass inspection? Leaks? Sounds like some type of rip off to me
    Rich_49branimal
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    That 2 hole strap isn't really attached to anything. :open_mouth:
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    mattmia2branimal
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    Is that gas piping that isn't strapped? I can't see what is going on here. Does that eventually get back to the meter?
    branimal
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    That ancient gas pipe you’re pointing to looks like it’s been there for 60 years, damp and moist basement. Any steel pipe will rust in that condition
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    branimal
  • branimal
    edited December 2021
    Options

You can paint the pipe any color you choose. Why did it not pass inspection? Leaks? Sounds like some type of rip off to me

Ed - he failed me b/c there is a section of the main entry pipe leading to the meters that was sheetrocked over. I've since cut a rectangle to expose that covered section of pipe.

As far as painting the pipe - I've read that if the painted pipe is untested, it will require a 90-psi test.

Here's a screenshot. See the second to last bullet point:

This is from NYC Plumbing inspections documentation:
    https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/pdf/plumb_insp.pdf
  • branimal
    Options
    delcrossv said:

That 2 hole strap isn't really attached to anything. :open_mouth:

I'll cut away some of that 2x4 stud and attach it to a joist. I guess a rubber strap isn't going to accelerate rust the way a galvanized strap can.
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    Options
    I think the problem was that the strap isn't secure. If a stud is solid I don't see why it can't be used to secure the strap to. Can you call Precision testing about strapping material? Without googling, I thought copper plated strapping is for copper pipes and galvanized strapping is for galvanized pipes. I'm not sure what that business about a painted pipe versus a non painted pipe. If you didn't want to paint the pipe to slow the rust, you could use fluid film, it is wet though. And to paint after using fluid film you would have to clean it off thoroughly.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
    branimal
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @Jersey2

Different locations have different weird rules. In MA where I am they don't allow galvanized pipe under any circumstances
    branimal
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    Is this nyc? I think you need to find someone who does work in whatever city this is to answer.