Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1950’s radiant

keith123
keith123 Member Posts: 103
A
mattmia2Roohollah

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    Seems like a retirement party is in order.

Bottom pic green valve above the pump looks like a self actuated mixing valve. Maybe Sarco like the controller on the wall. I like the Federal Pacific breaker panel
  • keith123
    The mixing valve is wired to the controller 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    Pump looks circa 1950 also😙
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    keith123
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Radiant ceiling? I Had a system out there that was exactly like that. I kept the radiant & installed a mod con boiler. Works pretty well.
    keith123
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    T. Napier Adlam, who worked for Sarco, developed that system, and much of the early technology for radiant heating. His book, Radiant Heating, is a classic. Thanks for sharing!
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2keith123
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,208
    edited December 2021
    Is that a 4 wire cable from the thetmopile for some reason?

That fpe could probably be a toggle switch
  • DanHolohan
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 756
    350 Fifth Ave is the lobby address for the Empire State Building ... not sure what the extra letter is after New York. When I was a kid 350 5th was like saying 30 rock. I'm still an Ave of Americas baby ...
    keith123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    The valve is self actuated not wired. It has 2 bulbs 1 outdoor air and 1 indoor air. The controller on the wall provides some adjustment by appling false heat to the bulbs. The valve is not electrically operated directly.
    keith123
  • DanHolohan
    It's still Sixth Avenue to me. :D
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mflesher
    Mflesher Member Posts: 3
    TAG - that “extra letter” is actually a 1. It’s the precursor to today’s ZIP code. Mail delivery zone 1 in NYC, or post office 1 in NYC. 
  • keith123
    Thank you Dan and everyone for sharing thoughts on this. There’s more to this system. I’ll share the pictures when I go back on Monday. I’ll be keeping these devices in my shop after the demo. I’m installing a triangle tube instinct. I’d love to keep the existing piping intact, but no need for redundant temp controls in my opinion 
  • keith123
    The basement has steel pipe in the floor like a Frank Loyd Wright house. The first floor as far as I can tell is radiant floor and the second floor is radiant ceiling. 
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 422
    It's good to see that wiring was a poorly done in the "good old days" as it is now!

Happy New Year to all!
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA