Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EK System 2000 help for my HVAC guy.

Praetor
Praetor Member Posts: 9
I apologize, in advance for the lengthiness of my post, but I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have a detailed schematic of how to wire transformers of the EK system 2000? Basically all wiring behind the the system monitor board? I was having trouble keeping my (oil) boiler running, to heat my house, after pressing the reset button. I initially thought I needed a tune up for my boiler/tank, so I contacted my HVAC guy for a tune up, and he saw my system board wasn't on and figured something must be wrong with the transformers.

Now, a little aside. In September, I had indirect heating with the EK system 2000 boiler and a water heater connected to it. The water heater crapped out, as it was 20-30 years old, I called my HVAC guy and for my budget he suggested electric water heater. so I went with it. His son came and exchanged the dead water heater for an electric water heater.

After everything was said and done, I noticed the EK systems board wasn't on at all. No lights indicating anything, I pointed it out to the son, so he fiddled with wiring behind the board then asked me to turn on the heat via thermostat, then indicator lights that supposed to turn on, initially turned on, after.

So everything was running fine. When the set time and temperature was reached on the thermostat everything worked as normal. It turned off. I mean everything on the board, also turned off. No indicator lights. Yet, when the thermostat called for heat at the set time, like at night, everything ran and the board indicator lights turned on. So it seemed fine to me.

But then there were times when the boiler turned off due to reaching it's set time and/or temperature over night it wouldn't turn on when it needed to at a later time, through the night and I'd have to manually press the reset button, where the boiler would "whoosh" back on, I'd have to do this like every two weeks, when it finally stopped turning on when pressing the reset button.

That's when I called my HVAC guy and told them I may need a tune up. When he came out to do the tune up he noticed my board wasn't on (though I wasn't home, my wife was). I guess my HVAC guy unscrewed the system board to gain access to the wiring and maybe tested them and said I needed two new transformers. this all happened last week Thurs day (from this date), I ordered the parts and they came the next day (less than 24 hours) and informed HVAC guy. I didn't see him until today (date of posting). For 5 days I had to improvise heating by using my electric stove/over as a heater, embarrassingly enough. But I had to do what was necessary due to 15 to 20 degree temperatures outside!

When he finally came today, I explained, again what happened then he says, "well then it's not the [original] transformers it's the delay valve. But he had already took apart the old transformers to replace them with the new transformers but following the my "revelation" of how the system was acting he removed the new transformers and reinstalled the old ones, only to get confused as to how to wire them back up, exactly! Saying, "I don't know these system 2000's"

And so, here we are. He's contacted a friend (via phone) who seemed more knowledgeable with EK System 2000's but his friend isn't sure he can make it out today and it's going to hit 32 tonight.

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    The EK has a wiring diagram printed on the back of the access cover, but it sounds like you need someone more familiar with electrical troubleshooting than anything else. The water heater for the EK is different from regular water heaters in that it has a different dip tube in it, so that will need to be addressed also. In order to make your new tank work, all they would have had to do was take a wire from the lower thermostat and run it to the #1 input of the control board. It sounds like things have got really messed up now and could take some doing to get it back to where it should be.
    I would check around and find if there is an actual EK dealer around there who knows these units.
    Rick