Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator End Plug??? Something like original???

Options
KenH
KenH Member Posts: 13
Can anyone recommend a solution this this? The existing plug had a hole in it, so I cut it out and installed a black pipe blind plug. I'm guessing due to the taper it will not recess fully.

Anyone know where to get a plug similar to the existing plugs that came with the radiator? Do the still make them? I ordered a 1 1/2" brass cleanout plug to see if that will work. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,669
    Options
    did you check the thread pitch? that looks a lot like trying to get 2 different pitches to thread together
    KenH
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Assuming the pitch is right, if NPT, run a tap in a bit deeper.  Carefully.

Best wishes.
    KenH
  • KenH
    Options
    I didn't.  But I will. Thanks. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @KenH

Just make sure the tap can't bottom out on anything. You might try Oswald Supply (google them) in NYC they have a lot of weird stuff.

Other than that maybe a visit to a scrap yard with a sawzall on an old radiator
    Daveinscranton
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Is it water tight?  You could grind it off flush, prime and paint to match.  Although, I’d try the brass clean out plug first. 
    Daveinscranton
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,669
    Options
    A square or hex head plug painted will probably look less weird sticking out.
    Daveinscranton
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Are you sure that plug is pipe thread?
    I have a reclaimed 2" plug for those holes and it threads quite will into a 2" fitting.
    Those threads almost look too course for 2" NPT.
    Did you try the plug into a 2" fitting?....or what ever size you have.
    Hard to tell.
  • KenH
    Options
    I’m almost certain it’s NPT threading. I’ve never seen a radiator that was otherwise.  I’m thinking I need to find an untapered plug. 
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    As far as I know, an untapered thread is called a machine thread. The only tapered threads I know of exist solely for the plumbing/HVAC industry which would make them NPT threads.
    You're looking for a countersunk plug which seem plentiful with a quick Google search. I throw out dozens of them every year when I pull them out of skim port tappings.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    KenH said:
    It certainly ought to. I do like the idea (not completely necessary) of running an 1-½" NPT tap through those radiator threads first though.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • KenH
    Options
    Thanks @JohnNY. I do have an 1 1/2” tap that I can clean out the threads with. I’m guessing my problem is the plug I have is tapered, vs. something that is consistent size. 
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Or you can run the plug into a pipe die.  And a tap to at least chase the female threads. Assuming you don’t have bottoming problems.  Depends on if you need it right now.  Or yesterday.

This falls into the category of new ceiling moldings.  When you first put them up, you can see every flaw.  After a month, not so much.  Especially after paint.  You are going to be the only one looking for it.

If you have access to a lathe, you can  put a coupler on a pipe nipple.  Make it round. You now have an internally threaded collet for your too long plug.  Then chuck your coupler in the lathe.  Thread in your plug.  Take enough off the face that you are happy.  40 minutes tops.  

If you can find the correct plug easily and don’t mind the wait for UPS, I like that solution.

CLamb