Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi 553 Autofill-New install on existing system-Not working

Options
hcpatel78
hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
Hi,
I have the radiant system installed last year with a Noritz Combi boiler. The Noritz autofill does not work somehow so I installed a new Caleffi autofill 553.
After completing install and turning on the water supply still the valve is not able to fill and pressurize the system at all. My system is still at 10 psi. I set the fill pressure at 20 at autofill still it is not able to fill and pressurize the system.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Hiren Patel

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    What is your incoming city/well water pressure? It doesn't appear you have a water line connected to the Caleffi
  • hcpatel78
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It is connected while I posted. Some pictures I took during work were going on. Upon further investigation found out that the backflow preventer installed before autofill is not letting pass any water through somehow.
    Strange!
    I am on well and supply pressure is 40-60 psi at the inlet on the backflow preventer.
    Brand new install last year and never check that part. Initially, I filled my system with a purge valve so never had a chance to look that was it working or not?

Is it ok to remove the backflow preventer as the Caleffi autofill 553 has included a check valve in it?
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The gray knob on the bottom, it’s a shutoff is it open?
    Yes the fill valve does have  an outlet check, but it doesn’t meet code as A BFD. It will stop reverse flow as it is a spring check.

Does pressure increase as the screw in top is turned? Sometimes the gauge doesn’t match the setting number

BFD is flowing the correct direction?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hcpatel78
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yes. That gray knob is open. The backflow preventer is culprit. It is installed in correct direction. But somehow stuck . It looks like it was bad from beginning .
    Can I install caleffi backflow preventer (standalone one) vertically?
    I would like to replace this bad one with caleffi one if I can install vertically.
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If I recall it comes off of the prv assembly. Might remove it and look at it before replacing it. @hot_rod can tell you the part number. Maybe something got in it like a washer or something
  • hcpatel78
    Options
    Thank you all. Found a problem. Back flow preventer is bad. I would like to replace with better one like callefi or so.
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    If it is a vented dual check, here is what most all brands look like inside. Basically two spring checks. One must be stuck? You might split it open and clean it out. if the rubber parts are stiff or cracked or glued together, best to replace.

With the check in the Caleffi AutoFill you will be fine until you replace the BFD. Or just shut off the fill valve for 100% backflow protection :)

Yes the 573 can be installed vertically with the vent port down. The reason being if it does discharge all the water needs to drain out of the vent. If the port is up, water sits inside and corrodes the seals. And the vent port should be piped to the floor also.

Requirement enforcement varies widely on boiler BFDs. In one state 3 different types are allowed by various jurisdictions. Dual check, dual check with vent port, and RPZ type. It can come down to the actual inspector's opinion.

For your own use, if it is plain water in the boiler I feel the vented dual check is adequate. Best protection is the RPZ, but by code those must be tested and re-certified yearly $$.

If you use the Caleffi assembly BFD and AutoFill you actually have 3 check protection, that should handle it :)

I'd use a RPZ for peace of mind if you have non-potable chemicals in the boiler.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hcpatel78
    Options
    👍 thank you so much Bob,
    Hiren.

Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hcpatel78
    Options
    Problem solved. Caleffi water feeder is working the way it is supposed to be and filled and pressurize my system at 14-15 PSI.
    Thank you all for your quick help. You guys are awesome.
    Regards,
    Hiren Patel
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel