Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this NEW munchkin boiler fan assembly already going bad? (cool video)

Options
lukenurn
lukenurn Member Posts: 34
edited December 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Greetings o great heating Sensais that teach me everything I know and help guide me in maintaining a warm home for my family and saving money!

I have a concern and want some honest perspective because the salesman is of course, optimistic.

I just ordered and installed a new boiler fan assembly for my Munchkin t80 and now it's running like a dream. However, when working nearby after 3 weeks of it running, it sounds really bad (reminds me of when I was a kid and we had an old PC and the old dusty fan we never cleaned would make this same metallic ticking sound). See link below to my google drive to watch the video. The sound is fairly accurate when heard through my basic laptop speakers.

Note: it did NOT make this sound after initial installation. The salesman says it sounds "normal" to him. Also note, it's a $500 part!

I appreciate your input! *bow*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ssRZf7A96YZktIxgOCerexLHlNvM4K-a/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    That does not sound correct ,I myself have a munchkin t80 so I know . It sounds like the a bad bearing or the fan is rubbing or out of balance ,was this a complete unit w a gas valve ? Did you replace the plastic inlet piece on the gas valve side I forget the name but they wear and gets cracks usually from combustion gas recirculating and can and will destroy the fan . On a side note has the unit been cleaned and a combustion test done . When ever at a mim when a gas valves and or fan are changed a combustion test should be performed to ensure proper operation and that the burner is operating within it design combustion perimeters . I would remove the part and check the internals for any obstruction and that the fan runs freely w no noise . There are a few service procedures you can perform . Check the service manual and remove the one plug from the motor and the fan will run full speed and see if it produces noise if so replace it before it fails and your out more money and outta warranty . I would guess there’s something rubbing and or out of balance blower , these units are sealed and pressed on so there nothing to fiddle about w .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    lukenurn
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,447
    edited December 2021
    Options
    You can call HTP technical ( 508-763-8071 or 800-323-9651). I have never heard that ticking before. I don't know what to say except get it replaced under warranty. If you could isolate the sound with a mechanic's stethoscope, that you could buy at an auto parts store, you might get a more definitive answer.

It might be the cooling fan for the motor. You can take off the black plastic housing over the motor and see what happens.
    lukenurn