Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil burner incinerator

Options
tony525
tony525 Member Posts: 4
I just purchased an oil burner incinerator for pet cremation.  It has 2 Beckett AFG oil burners.  1 for incineration and another in a secondary chamber to burn exhaust.  I am wondering about the feasibility of operating the fan motor independently by wiring it separately from the fuel solenoid and the transformer.  The purpose would be to cool the machine by running the fans only.  I know the fuel pump will run while the fan is operating. I was planning on making it a 2 line system to make it easier on the fuel pump while the solenoid is closed.  1 timer switch for the fan to start first and to run after the burn for cooling. 1 timer switch for the transformer and fuel solenoid.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    Options
    Have you checked with all the local and necessary codes that may be in-force in your area to operate a cremation incinerator. I know there are very strict laws and codes in central Pennsylvania that must be adhered to for a hospital cremation incinerator. The company that supplied the equipment you purchased should be able to supply you with the necessary parts and expertise do do what you are requesting. I would contact them first to make sure that your unit is capable of what you are trying to accomplish.
    STEVEusaPAtony525
  • tony525
    Options
    I am in the process of getting an air permit which Kentucky just began to require.  I’ve worked at a funeral home / crematory for 28 years so I’m pretty familiar with the regs.  I purchased a used poultry incinerator and the manufacturer is no longer in business, but another company manufactures something very similar. It is basically a steel tank with 5 inches of refractory material with a short stack leading to a secondary chamber with a second stack for exhaust.  I am used to a natural gas machine, but this oil burner was too affordable to pass up.  
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @tony525

I don't have a concern about running the oil burner fan only. The solenoid valve will control the fuel flow.

My concern would be that the burner control has to run both the fan and ignition and oil flow to make sure the installation is safe and that the burner can lockout on a flame failure.

I am not sure this can be accomplished with some timers
  • tony525
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.  The original setup had all of those components running from the control after a timer switched was engaged.  The fan would be the only component that would be removed from the control.  In the event of a burner failure, the control should shut down everything except the fan.  I guess I’m most concerned about a possible fan motor failure without it being powered by the control.  
  • tony525
    Options

SuperTech
  • 426hemi
    426hemi Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Looking at the pictures it looks like you have inline delayed oil valves on both burners. You didn’t say how long you want the fans to run after the burner shuts down. If it’s just a few minutes you are over thinking this simply switch to a modern primary like a R7284 and program max post purge time. Not sure what the max time is on all models but I just looked at my R7284 and it will do up to 8 min post purge. Not sure what the max time on a Genesys primary is as I never have needed to run a long post purge on a normal residential heating application. There are commercial/industrial primaries that may let you program a very long post purge. I’m not familiar with them but I’m sure someone here is. 
  • 426hemi
    426hemi Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The Carlin 70200 primary does up to a 15 minute post purge