Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Exchanger cleaner recommendations

Options
Le John
Le John Member Posts: 226
Happy Holidays to all here on the wall. Its hard to believe another year has passed.

I have three Lochinvar Noble NKC 199's and I want to clean the heat exchangers (Domestic Flat Plate and Boiler side). Lochinvar recommends 5% Vinegar solution and was wondering what you guys were using. Last year I cleaned the domestic flat plate with Vinegar and the water was virtually clear but did not do the boiler water side. Is the boiler water side necessary?

The boiler fire side was done but that was clean. I brushed it and flushed it with water but got no debris and water was clear leaving the exchanger.

The boilers work very well and I would like to keep them well maintained.

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,548
    Options
    Le John said:

Happy Holidays to all here on the wall. Its hard to believe another year has passed.

I have three Lochinvar Noble NKC 199's and I want to clean the heat exchangers (Domestic Flat Plate and Boiler side). Lochinvar recommends 5% Vinegar solution and was wondering what you guys were using. Last year I cleaned the domestic flat plate with Vinegar and the water was virtually clear but did not do the boiler water side. Is the boiler water side necessary?

The boiler fire side was done but that was clean. I brushed it and flushed it with water but got no debris and water was clear leaving the exchanger.

The boilers work very well and I would like to keep them well maintained.

Depends..Was the system ever cleaned ? Is the Boiler side system fluid being Maintained ?
    I would pull a system sample and check it for the following:
    1.PH
    2.EC
    3.TDS
    4.SAL
    5.Total hardness/dh
    6.Magnetite
    7.FE
    8.CU
    If you have Glycol i would check the Protection level in % level as well
    The new ANSI H 1001.1 Standard , The VDI 2035 and Caleffi Idronics #18 may also shed some light on this subject..

For the Domestic side we use a Flush Kit that uses a Color Changing acidic agent with a little circulating pump.
    We use this setup on Flat plate Heat exchangers and On demand waterheaters.
    If you do not allready have Purge/Service Valves for this i would install them as well
    I order for us to reduce Calcium buildup on the HX and fixtures we also install a Magnetic Scale transformer.
    Not only does this Scale transformers protect your entire domestic system,it also reduces the amount of detergents required and inproves vegetation..
    Call Seth at Low Energy systems in Denver CO 1800 873 3507 as they can help you with everything you will need for this.
    Hope this helps..
    Le John
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    For the domestic side, everything you need in these kits, pump, cleaner, etc. A number of different brands available.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Le John